What is this? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM
zj97ltd
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Coral
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
yes, my niner has a sunroof. i was thinking it was some kind of drain, just not sure if it is or what it is for. i was thinking maybe it was some kind of breather tube for the fuel tank, but im not sure how much sense that would make.
This would exlain the whole exploding when hit from behind problem...

zj97ltd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 26 Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
98ZJOKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 48
As you can see, you caught the animals on an off-feeding day.

That is what protects the wiring for a trailer hitch wiring harness. It's not supposed to be hanging down. Push it back up until the metal tabs grab hold of it. The bag you speak of is not from the factory - it would have been from a PO.
Inside of the secret panel you found is where a jeep with a trailer two prep package will have the connections to snap in a trailer hitch wiring assembly. That's also where you should keep your spare power steering pulley, your spare serpentine belt, your A/C bypass pulley, your three ton jack stands, three sets of extra clothes (for when you have to crawl underneath the jeep when you're stranded on the side of the road), instructions on how to disable the alarm system because you will forget, a paperclip to hot wire the A/C compressor...what else am I forgetting?
98ZJOKC is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 07-05-2013, 03:46 PM
jeepkid945
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJOKC View Post
As you can see, you caught the animals on an off-feeding day.

That is what protects the wiring for a trailer hitch wiring harness. It's not supposed to be hanging down. Push it back up until the metal tabs grab hold of it. The bag you speak of is not from the factory - it would have been from a PO.
Inside of the secret panel you found is where a jeep with a trailer two prep package will have the connections to snap in a trailer hitch wiring assembly. That's also where you should keep your spare power steering pulley, your spare serpentine belt, your A/C bypass pulley, your three ton jack stands, three sets of extra clothes (for when you have to crawl underneath the jeep when you're stranded on the side of the road), instructions on how to disable the alarm system because you will forget, a paperclip to hot wire the A/C compressor...what else am I forgetting?
My 93 had that bag inside the panel
jeepkid945 is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Marcos
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Germantown
Posts: 939
Sound deadening
Marcos is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Kingr98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Madison
Posts: 472
When you pull your inside trim panels to track that tube back up to the sunroof, you will find more little bags of insulation. I think I found three in mine.
Kingr98 is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 PM
zander21510
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,138
The bag is indeed factory. I was at a junkyard and thought I found a bag of drugs lol but sure enough the same insulation was in mine.

Seriously, it is a plug in the place of trailer wiring. Its OK if its not there too.
zander21510 is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Kingr98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Madison
Posts: 472
Zander,
I am not trying to be argumentative, but here is a picture of the sunroof drain tube in my 98 ZJ. I know it is my drain tube because I fished a weedeater string from the sunroof, down and out of the rubber tube when my drain was clogged. On my Jeep, I would consider this tube very important, otherwise, every time it rains, my cargo section would flood from under the removable door in the OP's second picture.

Name:  drain tube.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  148.0 KB
Kingr98 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
zander21510
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98 View Post
Zander,
I am not trying to be argumentative, but here is a picture of the sunroof drain tube in my 98 ZJ. I know it is my drain tube because I fished a weedeater string from the sunroof, down and out of the rubber tube when my drain was clogged. On my Jeep, I would consider this tube very important, otherwise, every time it rains, my cargo section would flood from under the removable door in the OP's second picture.
Oh I didn't mean to be lol I don't dispute it...in non sunroof ZJs its just a plug that's what I meant . I didn't know it was also the place for the sunroof to drain until reading this thread.
zander21510 is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Kingr98
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Madison
Posts: 472
It's all good. I just didn't want the OP to hack it off and then fill up his cargo area with water every time it rains.

I do think that the other, oval shaped, covered opening in the picture would be an appropriate place for factory trailer harness wiring, but my trailer hitch is aftermarket so I am only guessing.
Kingr98 is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
billyblooshoes
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hope
Posts: 77
hey guys, yeah i know im the noob here but my niner does have what seems to be factory tow package complete with skid plate, hitch, and the plug for the trailer wiring. im leaning more towards the sunroof drain theory rather than a plug for where the trailer wiring would go, since like i said, i have the tow package.
billyblooshoes is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Midnightluckey
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98
It's all good. I just didn't want the OP to hack it off and then fill up his cargo area with water every time it rains.

I do think that the other, oval shaped, covered opening in the picture would be an appropriate place for factory trailer harness wiring, but my trailer hitch is aftermarket so I am only guessing.
No, the trailer wiring goes in the rubber plug you'll find between that drain and the bumper cover. It's closer to the bumper cover. Though strangely, my factory hitch wiring goes out the plug on the passenger side.

Passenger side (with harness)
Name:  image-243010826.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  420.4 KB


Driver side (plug only)
Name:  image-977700257.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  405.9 KB

it's difficult to see, but its the black square rubber plug in the shadowy area.

95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome