What is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is this?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

What is this?

first things first, this is probably a noob question so forgive me for not knowing. i was crawling around under my niner a little bit ago and came across this. have no idea what it is. its in the area under the drivers side tail light.

what led me to this finding, was something i came across in the trunk. i just happened to pull the little panel off that sits just behind the spare tire. firstly, what is it that is in there? secondly, i saw something apparently stuffed in there. what i pulled out was a black plastic rectangular bag that had a piece of what looked like a type of insulation in it. forgot to snap a pic, but id guess it was about 4"x8" in size. also, what concerned me was that the insulation in the bag was pretty damp, and there was some moisture inside that panel. whats the deal here?

billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Do you have a sunroof? Kinda looks like the drain, that big piece is supposed to be in the frame but it looks like the hole rusted out.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Do you have a sunroof? Kinda looks like the drain, that big piece is supposed to be in the frame but it looks like the hole rusted out.
yes, my niner has a sunroof. i was thinking it was some kind of drain, just not sure if it is or what it is for. i was thinking maybe it was some kind of breather tube for the fuel tank, but im not sure how much sense that would make.
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

The sunroof drains down the A-columns.

In my 94 (which had a locking gas door) the panel had a backup pull wire for the gas tank lock. Essentially, you opened the panel, pulled the wire, and the door unlocked and opened. However, since niners don't have locking gas doors, the panel is probably just a leftover design from earlier years with the locking gas doors. As for the bag, I have no idea. Maybe another member has come across this before. Who knows? Could be a relic from a PO...

Related^
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...-find-1541339/
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, mine had that bag of insulation too. Figured it was just to absorb some noise or vibration. I ripped mine out, its a ZJ, it's supposed to make noise haha
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Its the plug for the hole for trailer wiring. The other side has a similar hole/plug.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
billyblooshoes
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
Its the plug for the hole for trailer wiring. The other side has a similar hole/plug.
are you referring to the dangling rubber piece? should i try and get it back up into the hole somehow or is it not that critical?
Unread 07-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Nah, mine is totally gone with just a wire going through it, no difference in noise or anything else. Take it out or leave it as is.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The panel behind the spare tire is for access to the trailer wiring connection.

No idea what the dangling thingy is. Sorry.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

I agree with zj97ltd.

It looks like the rear sunroof drain tube. It comes down the C column and over the rear wheel well. The moisture is most likely because the tube is cracked behind the plastic trim panel and came in during the last rain. You might be able to verify it by parking with your front end higher than the rear and pouring water into the sunroof tracks. It should travel back to the two rear drains and come out on both sides behind the rear wheels. You should have a similar one on the other side.

I had to replace the same one on my 98 ZJ. Had headliner out and removed several trim panels to get at it.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Yeah looking at the picture again mine was just a plug (no sunroof on my ZJ). It had a little rubber hole molded in it I imagine for the tube that would go up to a sunroof.

That hole is def rusted out but not a big deal if its dangling unless its leaking as said.
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

My guess is the drain tube is leaking somewhere between the sunroof and the rear, which caused that rust around it.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is the port where you stick the crank for the blinker jack. You need that to check the fluid on a ZJ
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog2000 View Post
That is the port where you stick the crank for the blinker jack. You need that to check the fluid on a ZJ
Bingo.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Looks like an old bell. Maybe the zj was an ice cream truck...
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.