Westin Off-road lights, wiring issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Westin Off-road lights, wiring issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
lucky04
1997 ZJ 

Westin Off-road lights, wiring issue

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (before you ask i've searched literally all night while working on this...)

I'm having trouble and am down to my last straw! This is the Westin offroad lights (2) that comes with the relay and fuse, etc...

I have everything wired up as listed via instruction sheet, but I am getting no power to the switch (it doesn't light up), and fog lights never light up. the switch has a ground, a "power" that goes into the engine bay to the relay (and from the relay goes to a fuse, then to the positive). And finally "red wire" that is supposed to splice into a power (to light up the power switch i'm assuming).

Problems: The switch never lights up, the fog lights never turn on. The ONLY time we've gotten any response out of the system is a big dummy wire connected to the red wire, straight to the positive on the battery [which lit up ONE fog light, not both]... which I thought that red-wire was just to light up the switch?

Right now my red (power) is spliced an orange wire coming off the cigarette lighter, just because I know/have tested that it is working/getting power. Ground is wired in between a screw and steer frame of the dash. And the blue is still going into the engine bay, into the relay.

The only thing I can guess is possibly these splice connectors aren't providing enough/any power? But I don't recall having any trouble with these before..

Example below:

I know this was pretty hard to follow...but anyone have any ideas for me?

lucky04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Very possible the scotchlocks aren't making a good connection. At this point I would check all components with an ohm meter to make sure they are in working order. Maybe if you posted a version of the instructions it would help. I never liked scotchlocks.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
lucky04
1997 ZJ 

See attachement
westin_diagram.jpg

Unread 10-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I never liked scotchlocks.
That's a common feeling, because they SUCK.

I fought with them for months on my light set-up. Until I took an hour to sit and solder everything. You should too. Take the time to do it the right way, then never chase issues again...
congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like the wires are reversed on the switch. Try switching the red and black wires on the switch.

As for only one light working when the relay engages, that sounds like either one of the red wires either isn't making connection at the splitter or not connected properly to the light itself. Could also be that the bulb was burned out from the factory. That or the ground wires on the light isn't making proper connection.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
lucky04
1997 ZJ 

Figured it out....turns out the power AND groundn from one of the lights both came disconnected...did it right, patched up, now it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.