were my new brake pads fitted correctly? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > were my new brake pads fitted correctly?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
kel-uk
1998 ZJ 

were my new brake pads fitted correctly?

i recently had my rear brake pads replaced my a 'friend in the know'!
he used a special tool to push the piston back on the calipers and fitted the pads as expected.
since then my brakes kept 'locking on' ! then it seemed ok in the wet winter we have just had here in the UK and i didnt notice it anymore and thought it had corrected itself, but as soon as it got warmer/drier and i went for a slightly longer drive (about 20 miles) they locked on again and i had smoke coming from my rear brakes again on both sides!! i have purchased some 2nd hand calipers to put on it but..................
i have just read another thread about changing brake pads and it states that if you are using the caliper piston tool to press the piston back you should open the cap to the brake master cylinder (which makes sense to me) but my friend definitely did NOT do that!! could this be the reason they are locking on? And if so can i fix it ???? or has he buggered my master cylinder????
please help :-(

kel-uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Sounds to me more like the brake caliper pins are stuck.. Did he lube them up ? Here ia link to the pin im talking about

http://www.lurayimportservice.com/job.htm
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I find that calipers will often "stick" after doing a brake job. Especially if they are old. Its happened to me so often that as a rule I replace the calipers every second time the pads are replaced.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
kel-uk
1998 ZJ 

i do believe he didnt lubricate the pin - or anything else for that matter!!!
with that in mind where do i go from here?! do i tell him to take them back off, replace calipers, lube the pin and what about the master cylinder? will the brakes need bleeding from not allowing the pressure to release or just do that bit properly this time??!! lol
kel-uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Replacing calipers is one notch above trivial. But chances are this is also the time to replace the brake hoses. And then the fitting on the end of the brake line will snap so a new flare will need to be created. And then . . .

The joys of keeping a 15+ year old vehicle on the road . . .
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

P.S.

Don't just throw parts at it. Step 1: Take it apart and diagnose the problem. Step 2: Fix it.

Diagnosing problems via the Internet is dubious at best.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time which can corrode the inside of the caliper piston bore. Then when you put on new pads and compress the piston, it hangs up on the corrosion and binds. This is why it is recommended that you bleed the brakes until you get fresh fluid out. New calipers will most likely fix your problem but you should bleed them to get fresh fluid in the system.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You don't need to open the cap when depressing the piston.
Your calipers are just worn out. Time to replace.
Replace the soft lines at the calipers as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.