Went Wheeling and Mudding now long starts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Went Wheeling and Mudding now long starts?

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

Went Wheeling and Mudding now long starts?

Ever Since I took it off road, and washed the motor and mud off I have been having long starts, it takes like 5 seconds to start after sitting, but fire's right up after its been ran.

Turning the key forward and letting the fuel pressure build back up doesnt help still takes 5 seconds.

I noticed the cap has some white corrosion on the tabs, start is good.

Crank sensor im not sure if thats a issue if its caked in mud or something. cap could of got wet which im sure it did, I know i have the legendary cracked exhaust manifold.

I was told I could have maybe gotten water in my gas tank cause the back end did get pretty deep in some water.

Any suggestions would be nice, gonna try some seafoam this week.

Ordered new plugs, wires, cap and button.

givingtheheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

This is why I don't mud anymore. S*** breaks. Take out your starter motor and check it for water and mud. That would be my first thought, to check that. If nothing is there, then go on to cap, rotor, distributor, etc.
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I don't plan on taking it mudding anymore just gonna fix it up, starter is clean and connections seem good, seems to crank just fine just takes a minute for it to fire. Last thing Im gonna check is the fuel pressure, which thats the last thing I wanna have to do is replace the fuel pump.
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Check your battery terminals and make sure every ground is clean and tight.

If the distributor cap tabs are corroded, I guarantee the rotor is the same way. They are cheap and easy to replace.

The anti-drainback valve is usually diagnosed by the priming, but you said that doesn't help so I'm thinking ignition or electrical.

I love mudding, water is what I avoid.

Check your differentials for water, especially if the rear sat underwater.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
givingtheheat
1998 ZJ 

I did notice a ground on the side of the block that was caked in mud and wed and looked pretty rough, may try to clean that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.