Went to LED's. Short writeup. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Went to LED's. Short writeup.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Reply
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
H3RESQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 289
Went to LED's. Short writeup.

Went to LED's and brought back my normal blinking speed. When I forst switched over my blinkers would stay solid instead of blinking due to the lower draw tricking them into thinking thay were blown. I temporarly fixed this by installing normal bulbs in one of the front blinkers. This allowed them to blink but REALLY fast(ricer like ).
My end remedy was a stop at http://www.superbrightleds.com/ were I got better Led bulbs that flash to the side and not just the rear. I also purchased Load Resistor kits that are 6ohm's 50 watt's that create a 2amp load to make your blinker blink at factory speed.


I pulled out my rear lights(Altezza downgrades lol.) and got ready to install the new LED bulbs and resisters.
This is a installed resistor. One wire goes to the blinker ground wire and one to the hot blinker wire. I decided to zip-tie the resistor. It does have the ability to be screwed to something.
This is the rear housing ready to be reinstalled into the jeep.
Hopefully this video works. Here is the finished product in action. Notice all bulbs front and rear are LED's. They blink at the normal speed. Also I should mention I used the same resistors for the front large blinkers and the small resistors in the first pic for the little blinkers in front(corners)

__________________
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
GreenDean
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersey, Exit 105
Posts: 1,918
Why did you not just get and electronic flasher instead of the stock thermal bimetal one.

Only costs $5?

Just curious. Do WJ's not have a flasher?
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar
 
BlaineWasHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 13,324
I can't see past your 37's
__________________
2013 FR-S
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
H3RESQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 289
Probably because I had to figure out how to fix the problem on my own. Don't know much about wiring. This is how I found I could fix it. They also offer a relay to fix the problem but couldn't figure out if one would work for my application. This is what I did to be able to run all Led's for blinkers,brakes, and even backup lights. Just thought I would share.
__________________
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
H3RESQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDean
Why did you not just get and electronic flasher instead of the stock thermal bimetal one.

Only costs $5?

Just curious. Do WJ's not have a flasher?
Also would this fix the speedflash or just allow them to flash again?
__________________
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Kornik
Not so newbie :-)
 
Kornik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ
Probably because I had to figure out how to fix the problem on my own. Don't know much about wiring. This is how I found I could fix it. They also offer a relay to fix the problem but couldn't figure out if one would work for my application. This is what I did to be able to run all Led's for blinkers,brakes, and even backup lights. Just thought I would share.
Sure but your solution makes a little problem - those resistors dispatch about 25W of heat when your blinker is working (2Ams*12.5V).
First you loose whole advantage of having LED's to make your alternator work easier
Second in case of long use (emergency? long wait at traffic lights?) you have huge amount of heat just next to your light plastic housings.

Buy flasher and remove those resistors.
__________________
92 XJ Laredo Mods: bored TB, 3" lift, 1-ton steering
93 ZJ Limited Mods: bored TB, K&N insert, e-fan; prothane bushings, NP242J, 3" lift, 1-ton steering; Atlas winch
Some ZJ parts for sale
Kornik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
AgitatedPancake
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sac, California
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornik
Sure but your solution makes a little problem - those resistors dispatch about 25W of heat when your blinker is working (2Ams*12.5V).
First you loose whole advantage of having LED's to make your alternator work easier
Second in case of long use (emergency? long wait at traffic lights?) you have huge amount of heat just next to your light plastic housings.

Buy flasher and remove those resistors.

I think durability and longevity of LED's are right up there with power consumption in reasons for use.
__________________
To contact me, email Greg@Frobotfab.com
Frobot Fabrication Facebook
01 WJ 5 Speed Claytons LA's, 36" Iroks, 35 spline 9" rear, Custom Ruffstuff 60-9" front axle.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
stevelv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 120
Go to the parts store and get the electronic flasher

Then it will flash at the correct speed regardless of how many bulbs/LEDs you have.

The idea of LEDs is longevity, faster operation (so said Cadillac lol) and low current draw - your solution was a bad idea I'm afraid - but a good try.

Remember to ask on the board when you get a question or a problem - lots of nice helpful people
__________________
1999 Jeep GC Limited - QD - 142k
Editor of the [URL=http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk]European Ford Scorpio Site[/URL]
stevelv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
H3RESQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 289
I guess I won't leave my flashers on overnight. I thought of this since they have obvious cooling fins. These are for a flasher not a taillight. None of the bulbs stay lite(sp) constant. I wired it that way on purpose. The front bulbs only come on with flash, never solid like factory setup. At $20 bucks for the 4 I ended up needing I see no problem with the setup. Especially since it's already installed and I don't even know anything about the flashers you speak of. Maybe someone could explain were they go and what they do.
I did get led's for there ability to draw less power. Your taillights are a constant and the resister is not hooked to them. Also they are brighter when your looking at them. Seem's to work for me. Oh and I have to admit I got the LED's for cool factor too. Flame if you want but it's a diffrent way not a wrong way. Especially the way I've wired the setup.
__________________
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Kornik
Not so newbie :-)
 
Kornik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ
I guess I won't leave my flashers on overnight. I thought of this since they have obvious cooling fins. These are for a flasher not a taillight. None of the bulbs stay lite(sp) constant. I wired it that way on purpose. The front bulbs only come on with flash, never solid like factory setup. At $20 bucks for the 4 I ended up needing I see no problem with the setup. Especially since it's already installed and I don't even know anything about the flashers you speak of. Maybe someone could explain were they go and what they do.
I did get led's for there ability to draw less power. Your taillights are a constant and the resister is not hooked to them. Also they are brighter when your looking at them. Seem's to work for me. Oh and I have to admit I got the LED's for cool factor too. Flame if you want but it's a diffrent way not a wrong way. Especially the way I've wired the setup.
You are 100% right, but consider that those resistors are (in your case) just putting some money (heat/electricity/gas) into air. That's why IMHO they should be used only in last case to prevent BCM from displaying errors in newer cars.

Electronic flasher works just like normal one with that difference, that time is regulated by chip not by current drawn from it. It's simple swap.
__________________
92 XJ Laredo Mods: bored TB, 3" lift, 1-ton steering
93 ZJ Limited Mods: bored TB, K&N insert, e-fan; prothane bushings, NP242J, 3" lift, 1-ton steering; Atlas winch
Some ZJ parts for sale
Kornik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
H3RESQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 289
So is there a write up on this forum about how to do it. If it's an easy swap I would change it. I'm sure I can get my $ back on ebay!
__________________
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
vendetta714
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California
Posts: 54
where did you get the front and back bumpers? they look awesome!
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"][I]2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7L Displacement Hight Output[/I][/FONT]
vendetta714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #13
Kornik
Not so newbie :-)
 
Kornik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RESQ
So is there a write up on this forum about how to do it. If it's an easy swap I would change it. I'm sure I can get my $ back on ebay!
There probably aren't any as it's like swapping fuse - you have to take out the old one (looks like relay - I don't know where as I don't have WJ) and plug in new one :-) Probably to longest part is to localize it somewhere in the car.

Here you are how it looks like:
http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?EFL16.html
and
http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?EFL15.html

there are two types - find the old one, check the type, buy new one and replace.
__________________
92 XJ Laredo Mods: bored TB, 3" lift, 1-ton steering
93 ZJ Limited Mods: bored TB, K&N insert, e-fan; prothane bushings, NP242J, 3" lift, 1-ton steering; Atlas winch
Some ZJ parts for sale
Kornik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #14
H3RESQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornik
There probably aren't any as it's like swapping fuse - you have to take out the old one (looks like relay - I don't know where as I don't have WJ) and plug in new one :-) Probably to longest part is to localize it somewhere in the car.

Here you are how it looks like:
http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?EFL16.html
and
http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?EFL15.html

there are two types - find the old one, check the type, buy new one and replace.

Ok. I looked for that on my WJ. Couldn't find it but will look again. This was the other option they have on superbrightled's. But like I said in the write up I didn't see an option for my jeep. I'm going to check into it a little more. If I find one that works for the WJ I will switch it out and post.
When I was looking for it I swear the only place I could here the clicking of a relay was behind the rear pass door. . Thanks for the help. I like doing work and research before installing things.......sorry if I seemed a little defensive.
__________________
First I sit and watch. Then I stir the pot!...................................01 4.7 Rockkrawler 6.5 w/37 Krawlers on Allied Monster beadlocks, Auto, Atlas 3.8, 35 spline ARB'd 9 inch rear, ARB'd Piece-o-**** 30 front, etc.

If you have a "It's a jeep thing" sticker then YOU don't understand!!!
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
///BHRpowered
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 1,812
Not to shabby, How come you didn't go with the tower designs? They are much more efficent at filling out a lense unless you have very narrow forward facing lights.

I never liked the idea of led's in the rear of the WJ, but I did a custom led retrofit in the front with some amber leds.

www.superlumination.com is also a great site
__________________
[url=http://www.mazdaworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19]"Within the mind lies the greatest of all evils...Eternity" - Enigma02S[/url]

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"


Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.