went to the dunes this weekend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > went to the dunes this weekend

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
str8stock4l
2005 LJ Wrangler 

went to the dunes this weekend

Ok so i went to the sand dunes this weekend and have a few questions. I have a 04 GC with a 4 inch lift. Stock gears front and rear with no lockers. Im running 32 inch M/T tires. Everything went smooth put my air pressure at 8psi and traction wasnt an issue.

Here is the problem i am running into. Ill be going up some dunes i have my jeep in 4low with it in 2nd gear. It does this if i have it in first and shift into second as well. When i get to the top of some hills the jeep bogs down so i go to throw it in 1st gear to bring the rmps up and the car will only stay in second. If i leave it in 2nd it does the same thing. My trans will not down shift. It shifts fine on the freeway and everything else but not on the dunes. I do plan on buying a locker for the rear and possibly some bigger gears. What are stock gears on the GC with the QT? I felt like i did everything icould and nothing broke. i had a blast. The only thing is i think my SS is going im gettin some cluncking in the front and got really really bad DW on the way home. First time i have ever felt it in this jeep.

str8stock4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Death wobble is not caused by a worn SS. It is caused by other worn components on the front end. I would check everything out before ordering a new SS.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Minivan
2001 WJ 

If it makes you feel any better, my trans doesn't shift down to first either. I don't think any thing is wrong, it is probably just some electronic nanny trying to avoid drivetrain damage due to torque shock load. Have you tried lifting off of the throttle briefly? Or just climb it in first.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but how do you like the DT8000's? I have the 3000's on front right now, but they are way too soft for the dunes.
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
str8stock4l
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the 8000s were awsome on the dunes. not too soft not to hard. if you let of at the top you get stuck and i tried that and i was down to my axles.
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

I'm guessing you were at Silver Lake?

I was there back in June, but never felt the need to run 4low (other than to tow out a buddy that had his fuel pump die).

I'm not sure if you have any HP mods to your jeep, but my WJ on 31's did just fine in 4hi. I climbed every hill without a problem. For the most part I kept it in D and 2 while climbing. I do have the basic bolt ons (cat and back, FIPK, and 63MM TB) which definitely helped on the dunes in the upper RPM's.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
str8stock4l
2005 LJ Wrangler 

nope all i have done to mine is regular old susp lift and tires. im buyin a locker for the rear tow hooks and maybe even re gearing and going out again next month.
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
586ZJ
1996 ZJ 

I was there once already this year, came home with a bent connecting rod WOO HOO!!! I ran my ZJ in 4 all time the whole time, maybe once or twice in 4lo for ****s and giggles. Not sure about your downshifting issue, as I never really had trouble getting up and over (3.5" IRO F>R, 265/75 16 Cooper Discoverer STT's) and with 5 people in it. I am setting up a weekend with my other buddies for the last weekend in September if you or anyone wants to join!!!!
586ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
str8stock4l
2005 LJ Wrangler 

for sure let me know. were all going again next month

2005 LJ Finally hit to many mods to list

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...thread-856908/
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

I won't be back till next year, as it is just way to far to do more than once a summer.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
586ZJ
1996 ZJ 

at least you get out once a year. srt8 I will keep you posted, I cant go until fall due to funds (new engine, cv shaft, brakes, etc etc etc) and a couple vacations this summer in August. But Ill let you know since I dont get on here very often anymore.
586ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.