well rebuild is done but..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > well rebuild is done but.....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

well rebuild is done but.....

Finally finished the suspension steering rebuild ...
front-end2-080.jpg front-end2-077.jpg front-end2-078.jpg

The front pads on both sides seem to be dragging making the rotors hot and I don't have a clue why. New centrics,hawk pads, knuckles, calipers. Any ideas?

Unread 04-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Sometimes brake lines just get old and deteriorate inside and messing with them, like when you change calipers and pads, causes them to fail and collapse internally. If you disconnect the hose and it doesn't pour out you can be sure that they've collapsed.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

They're new.
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
BigYellow04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 01 diesel did this once(of course it was hydroboost) but I replaced everything, rotors,pads, calipers all the way around, brake lines. Then the last thing I thought it would possibly be was the master cylinder, for some reason it would let the fluid travel to the calipers but would not allow the fluid to travel back,

Put a new one on and it was like new. I don't know if this might be the issue or not but if its not too expensive I would give it a shot if they keep dragging. Drive it and when you feel it dragging get out(carry a wrench for the bleeders) and crawl underneath and crack a bleeder and see if fluid comes flying out of it.
BigYellow04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Could be, but I think it may have something to do with the pads or rotors. They were pretty tight going on. Put the pads with the full notch at the bottom half notch at the top. The calipers were fully compressed. So if they were tight going on, there is no room for them to retract. Maybe the rotor or pad is out of spec. I just know I'm whooped after three days being on my back and kneeling under the jeep. Firm pedal, no pulsations, but its both sides front. Lol, I was really hoping to do repairs and be done but I should've known that wasn't gonna happen.
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
BigYellow04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman
Could be, but I think it may have something to do with the pads or rotors. They were pretty tight going on. Put the pads with the full notch at the bottom half notch at the top. The calipers were fully compressed. So if they were tight going on, there is no room for them to retract. Maybe the rotor or pad is out of spec. I just know I'm whooped after three days being on my back and kneeling under the jeep. Firm pedal, no pulsations, but its both sides front. Lol, I was really hoping to do repairs and be done but I should've known that wasn't gonna happen.
Happens to the best of us heh, I just put all new brake lines on my work truck (ranger) only to drive it for 2 weeks and the rear front spring shackle broke by the gas tank sending the leaf aping to rest on the bottom of the bed , that was fun.
BigYellow04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I just went out and for the heck of it ran the drb through all the actuation test. There were no codes but I thought maybe a piece of trash was caught somewhere. It seems like the brakes aren't dragging as much. I've got to take it to get aligned this morning, if they don't heat up getting there maybe its OK. If they do I'll just get them to look at it. I have a brand new master cyl. so I'll take it with me. I just don't have the gumption to put it on. I have a good bit of cleanup waiting on me.

jeep-mess-4.jpg

I took over 200 pics of the rebuild, and have edited about half cause I was doing a writeup. Will just have to include the good with the bad if it winds up being my screw up.
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
shaban
1996 ZJ 

With the aftermarket stuff, the pads + new rotors could be too thick even for a fully extended caliper. Happened to me once, on a different car though. Just ground the pads down a bit on a bench grinder, all worked fine since then. Wear a dust mask if doing that - breathing brake dust ain't healthy.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I drove it this morning to get the alignment and compared the front and rear{ which were changed several months ago } and the temps were the same by touch, so maybe its all ok.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Maybe it just took a little driving to get the pads bedded correctly and bet they'll be fine.

Great accomplishment coralman in getting all those front end/suspension parts installed and know that's been sitting hard on the back of your mind!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thanks Uni! It ran fine sunday and monday morn, then coming out of wally world monday afternoon I felt it do it again. So, being exhausted anyways I just took it to my mech bud. Just about come to the conclusion it may be a bad new brake hose but not sure yet. The driverside didn't do it this time just the passenger. Don't want to sound like a wuss but the job almost whooped my a**! Not that it was that hard but it went on and on. I have started going through the writeup pics putting them in a decent order and resizing. Discovered that the cam didn;t have the card in it for the first 20 or so pics and I couldn't get the camera memory to download. Sooo the teardown will be a bit abreviated but I will try to work around. I know most of the stuff has been covered alot on here already but mines a 2w and wanted to show even a Jeep newb like me could do the job.

I don't have anyone to blame {but you guys!} for this addiction cause ya'll have given me most of the knowledge that allowed me to tackle this in the first place. More to come.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW coralman and too bad you have some brake pads still not releasing. Know what you mean about the addiction to fixing things and there's stuff I never would have attempted myself into w/o some great forum info. Easier said than done but at least you know it can be done!

Hardrocknroll turned me on to a real good free computer program for downloading and resizing photos, along w/info & diagrams, called IrfanView. Works great for importing photos from your camera, save file, then you can open each photo, click on "Image" in the tool bar>resize/resample>enter %>recheck size>save or save as. I normally enter 40-50% since my photos are huge pixel-wise and don't want to stretch the screen out when posting.

About a year ago I did a thorough rebuild of my parking/ebrake system on my 96 and took a bunch of photos. I've been meaning to put a write-up together but haven't quite figured out how you put text between multiple photos?

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I just attach the photo, hit enter, which brings the cursor down a line and type what you want if I'm understanding.
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

dodge dakotas were known to have this problem, mine did and got so hot it warped rotors, smoke unit bearings and radiant heat melted the grease boot on the steering rod end. it was worse on hot days and we were on a major interstate with no pull off close. cross reference you line part number to 2nd gen dakota(ours was '99).
The inner liner had collapsed and that caused the lock up. new calipers pads and aftermarket brake lines and we haven't had the issue in 5 years.
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for all the support guys. I had the mech put a different line on. He said fluid would go one way but not the other.When he opened the bleeder the caliper released. They saved the hose for me. You know I wasn't satisfied so I cut the hose in half first, blew through it and no probs. Then I cut the fittings off both halves where I could look straight through. NADA. Then I took the hose end of both fittings and blew through that. The body side fitting showed nothing. When I did the caliper fitting out pops this little chunk of crap and sticks in the brake fluid drop on the banjo bolt hole. I'm thinking that was it. Didn't look like rust but could've been.I'm crossing my fingers.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.