Weird transmission problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird transmission problem.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
1995zj
1998 ZJ 

Weird transmission problem.

So today i started to have transmission problems, well at least im assuming its a transmission problem. I started having problems a few months ago when i randomly lost park, I had no other problems with shifting or anything. I checked the linkage to see if maybe it wasn't engaging park, everything seemed fine and it was shifting correctly. I ended up just fixing my parking brake and just left it alone because that was the only thing that seemed wrong with it.

So this morning I get up jump in my jeep to go to work start driving. At first I heard a weird whining coming from under the jeep, it wasnt really loud, I figured it was something dragging on my DS or something like that. So im cruising in OD at about 60mph or so. Then it starts acting funny, it would jump up 250 rpm's or so nothing drastic, it doesn't feel like its shifting in and out of OD because the rpm change isn't that drastic. It keeps doing that revving up and down every couple seconds or so. Also I somehow have park again and the whining has gone away, which is why I have no idea what is going on.

If I turn off OD it drives perfect no problems with the revving or anything if i then turn OD back on it takes a a while to shift back into it and continues the same symptoms. If i drive faster it doesn't rev like it does between 50-60. It seems to cruise fine at 70 no problems. I was thinking maybe it was the torque converter or something, maybe a vacuum leak. I really have no idea. Its just having park again seems really strange.

Thanks in advance, Jason

Unread 06-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #2
1995zj
1998 ZJ 

anyone?
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I think what you are seeing is the torque converter clutch engaging and disengaging. What normally happens is the TCC engages at 45 MPH and disengages when you touch the brake pedal.

What you're describing lends suspicion to this: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00053392c.htm

The no park issue is most likely mechanical wear / adjustment of the linkage.

Before you do anything check the fluid while hot, idling in neutral on level ground. Take the connector off top of the transmission and clean it. It wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and check for big chunks to get a general idea what it's like in there.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
1995zj
1998 ZJ 

Thanks zeejay, those are the exactly what it feels like. I have already checked the fluid levels they are ok, and they fluid looks pretty clean. I will try pulling that plug and cleaning it and see if that helps any. Thanks again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.