That weird ticking noise???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > That weird ticking noise????

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
brsox88
2007 WK 

That weird ticking noise????

What is that weird ticking noise I hear coming from the engine area/under the car when I start my car up in the moring. It last for about 5 minutes I think, I am not 100% sure where it is coming from and I am not 100% sure the cold is what effects it.

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0l so its fairly new. So what do you guys think that ticking noise could be?

brsox88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

A bomb? Run away!

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99
A bomb? Run away!
HAHA!

I have same WJ... Mine started doing the same thing this winter... I was told its lifter noise. Nothin really to worry about, just the valves clickin because of lack of oil when its cold. Try switching to a lighter weight oil might help it some. I am runnin 10w-30 Mobil1 I think 5w-30 would be better.

silentbob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Could be an exhaust leak that quiets when the exhaust warms up and expands. Or simply lifter ticking as mentioned...
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
EVIL ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Not sure on you JEEP but some FI systems have a "Cold Start" injector you may only hear till it warms up...
98 ZJ Laredo - 5.2 - 35/12.5 Kevlar MT/Rs - JKS(Modifide)Quicker Disocs - www.KevinsOffRoad.com - LP-1 SliderZ/Light bar w/Remote Lights - 2.25+3.5 RE Lift - Cobra Ultra lll w/FireStick - Bomb - XJ Front DS - Red-top - 10k winch w/Wired & Wireless - Aussie - Flex-a-lite - Garmin - www.ironrockoffroad.com - Critical path Long arms - Auburn E-locker - & A GREAT DANE Hangen out the window... GOT GAS??? Lets "GO"...
EVIL ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

I've got the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's a cracked exhaust manifold though. It used to only be there when the engine was cold, now it starts very loud when the engine is cold, and continues, only more quietly, when it warms up.

I wanted to know what it was once so I started the jeep and opened the hood. It sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the drivers side of the engine (I have the V8). The sound is directly proportional to engine revs, so I think I have a cracked manifold. I'm gonna have the stealership take a look at her soon though.
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

my moms tahoe did this, this winter.
for awhile i was worried that it was an engine knock, but then i realized it was chattering valves.
5w-30 oil will do fine, my jeep doesnt have that noise.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

had four jeeps with the 4.0L. one grand cherokeee and 3 wranglers. both my current GC and my dad's 04 wrangler made this noise on start up. my dads jeep did it year round on cold starts. my GC only does it on sub 40 degree mornings.. just always figured it was a "jeep thing"

"A man who asks no questions, rarely has any answers"
UofOJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.