Weird stalling problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird stalling problem

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

Hmmm....

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

Well... I pulled the harnesses and cleaned them, and checked the pins. None seemed overly stretched.

I read somewhere that the Coil driver in the PCM is a failure point in these devices, but I am almost certain now the PCM is the fault.

Anyone know if there is a schematic or parts list for these devices for replacement parts? If I can get this damn potting off, I could probably replace the driver IC.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The fuel pressure fluctuating between 42-50 at idle is bordering on abnormal. I would take dellis advise a watch the pressure while driving.

Also, the connector at the coil can cause the code you have. Pull the red tab out and disassemble the connector. Squeeze the sides of the sockets in a little to tighten the fit up. i know this isnt an optimal method of doing things, but it works. You can check the fit before you reassemble.

Another approach... you can eliminate different circuits by back pinning into connectors, run wires to a meter thorough passenger window, drive it and watch the meter. If you have a diagram and the time to tinker with it, you can use the process of elimination.

You are correct that he coil driver is a weak point in the PCM. PM JS97zj , he may have a source for some of the internal parts or point you in the right direction. he has writeup on here for resoldering the connections on the board.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.