Weird sound coming from pass side dash (possible heater core issue?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird sound coming from pass side dash (possible heater core issue?)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Got2HaveLights

Weird sound coming from pass side dash (possible heater core issue?)

I have had my 02 WJ for about a year and a half now, and half been lucky enough not to have any problems until now. When I start my jeep I hear what sounds like fluid rushing through my dash (mostly on the pass side, maybe behind my glove box). When I step on the gas, it sounds like the fluid is rushing faster, and about a min or two later it is gone. It seems to only do it after the jeep has been sitting for a while like overnight or when I get out of work. I have no leaks inside or on the ground under the jeep. My heat and AC both work fine. I am completely stumped on this, and thoughts would be very helpful. Oh, and I have the 4.7l motor with the standard heating controls.

Thanks
Ray

Got2HaveLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

could be a heater core leak or could be a leak anywhere in the system. i would start by finding the leak with some dye. a small leak wont leave a puddle.
Unread 04-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

check you coolant level, i know that exact sound, my sisters got the same jeep
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to my world. This is exactly my issue.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/missing-leak-751373/

I DO NOT have ANY indication of a leak. there is ZERO under the WJ sitting idle or after driving down the road. I had a presure check done and still NO indication of a leak. Still I have a 1-2 quart drop in fluid every few days.

I am certain it is the core because I have had a leak in everything else and replaced everything else over the years and this is different. Radiator, hoses, block, all left puddles and were easy to find.
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Got2HaveLights

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have always kept a eye on all my fluid levels, and my coolant is one fluid that I have never had to top off. It is exactly at the full mark. Does anyone else have any ideas??
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
XrynoX
2002 WJ 

bump cause i have the same noise!! my coolant is never low. i had the leak dye put in and tested with no results. only difference is i have the automatic climate control. blend doors were replaced before i purchased it. i'm at a loss, everything works. maybe just turn your radio up, always works for me...
XrynoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Hmmm...
Radiator cap is leaking might not show up in a pressure test. The resulting dye going all over the underside of the hood and around the radiator should tell the story though, right?

or
When y'all are adding water back to the system, are you using the overflow tank or filling through the radiator cap?

Have you also checked under the carpet on the passenger side for any wet areas? Got any oily film on the inside of the windshield?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I get the same noise in my 95 5.2 zj, no other simptoms of leaking or anything else though.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
XrynoX
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Got any oily film on the inside of the windshield?
yep, just went out and checked, my buddy mentioned that to me the other day, oily film just on the passenger side. shouldn't the dealer have caught this?
XrynoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Got2HaveLights

Ok, so this oily film on my windshield, is it going to be on the inside or outside of my jeep? If I have this film, what does it mean? One other symptom I forgot to mention is when I have the heat on Vent, I get this clicking sound from the pass side dash. I have no clue if this is related, but I thought that I would throw it out there. Oh, I have check my pass carpet, and they are completely dry.
Unread 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
ZJ_Papa
1997 ZJ 

Yea mine had a bad cap got the beast refilled air bubbled out and replaced the cap and she's good

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Stocker: My DD
2002 Toyota Camry: R.I.P It was a great car
ZJ_Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
1998JEEPZJ

Same issues with my Jeep no signs of anything that would cause concern, sound only started after I changed the radiator, cap was changed as well. Might be air in the system.
1998JEEPZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2HaveLights View Post
Ok, so this oily film on my windshield, is it going to be on the inside or outside of my jeep? If I have this film, what does it mean? One other symptom I forgot to mention is when I have the heat on Vent, I get this clicking sound from the pass side dash. I have no clue if this is related, but I thought that I would throw it out there. Oh, I have check my pass carpet, and they are completely dry.
oily on inside, means leaky heater core. as for the noise, search blend doors, that may be your problem.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Mine took a couple of weeks after replacing the radiator to purge the air out. I did it all so my purge efforts probably did not follow the book.

For you cats that have the film on the inside of the windshield, it's likely a heater core issue and you need to fix it soon as you can. Once ethelyene glycol gets into the human body some bad shiznit happens. Google, discuss or look it up in a part store MSDS if you need but get it fixed after you do....ok?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
wpatters1229
1995 YJ Wrangler 

how do you purge the air out of the heater system?

I read all these sysptms about hear rushing water when the system is cold but how do you purge the air out of the system? I replaced a bad water pump. New hoses but no leaks or having to add water. The sound goes away after the water is fully heated and the heater is turned on.
wpatters1229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.