weird problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > weird problem

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Edwardmiller221

weird problem

97 5.2 with quadra trak. I'll try to explain this problem clearly. Just started three days ago. Happens cold or hot does not matter. Ruff idle, like it is missing. Tap on gas slight hesitation then roars to life runs perfect until you step into the pedal more then starts bucking and misfiring and backfiring. Let up on the gas a little runs perfect. Will red line and run perfect out of gear until get into the throttle. Then same bucking and backfiring. No engine codes yet. Starts fine except for the little missing but will idle without dying. Checked all plugs and wires they are fine and like I say runs perfect except at idle and when getting into the pedal. I'm at a loss on this one thinking crank sensor but the run great until getting into the pedal is really confusing me. Throttle sensor map sensor....I just don't know and really don't want to bring it to the dealer. Oh yeah it has 200,380 miles on it. Very well kept. First problem I could not figure out. Hoping to get a code soon to give me some idea. If anyone has a clue I'm all ears. Thanks

Edwardmiller221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

Sounds like a vacuum issue dealing with maybe the cruise control or just in general. Trace all the hoses and ensure they are good and tight with nothing disconnected, then get back with us.

WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Edwardmiller221

Well would I not hear a vacuum leak or notice a problem with my climate control doors. I will look into it, but I was under the hood for an extended time and heard none of the telling hissing, but like I say I will check that one out.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Edwardmiller221

Well finally got codes but not much help. P0300 p0301 p0302 p0303 and p0304. I know all misfire codes this came up after just standing on the pedal hoping to get a code and I did. And no I did not stand on the pedal for long. So I'm thinking cps. Definitely acting like a timing issue and as this only seems to occur under load or at idle I can't think of anything else. Hope I'm right as the part is like 75 bucks at the dealer and I sure would hate to be wrong. But I guess I've done more stupid stuff in the past than that. Going to try to do this tomorrow.
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Edwardmiller221

Well not the part. Now when I take off the gas when driving the idle hangs at 1500 to 2000. When gone to a stop idle returns to nornal. Other problems still the same. No vacuum leak and new cps....thinking tps but don't know if that would cause the timing issue when pressing the gas pedal past the half way point. .. Any other ideas still no useful codes only engine misfire codes. Like I did not know that.
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

check fuel pressure
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Edwardmiller221

Well it was tps. Replaced plus while I was at it for good measure. Runs like a champ. Looking forward to another 200k without problems.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.