Weird noise NEED HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird noise NEED HELP!

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-06-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
roffy

Weird noise NEED HELP!

hey noobie here! My mom has a '96 Grand Cherokee LE... recently my dad used it to pull an empty horse trailor and ever since it has made a weird noise. It makes a winding type noise when accelerating and shifts hard. Can anyone please help?

Thanks
Curt

The newest Jeep noobie

roffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
roffy

bump...Anybody???? Please, I wanted to mention it is a straight 6 4.0L
Unread 10-06-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
moabster
2011 WK 

Did he overheat the transmission? Check to make sure the transmission fluid is not dark in color and make sure it is full. If it has a burned smell you may want to just replace the fluid.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
roffy

well, I didnt go outside and check it, but I do know that it still makes this noise when its in neutral and the gas is pushed down (I just talked to my dad)....is there a chance its the water pump because he is saying it might be that, but it is not losing water. This is similar to the noise a power steering pump makes when its low on fluid but it is not the power steering. Man, I dont know what the hells up with this thing.
Unread 10-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffy
well, I didnt go outside and check it, but I do know that it still makes this noise when its in neutral and the gas is pushed down (I just talked to my dad)....is there a chance its the water pump because he is saying it might be that, but it is not losing water. This is similar to the noise a power steering pump makes when its low on fluid but it is not the power steering. Man, I dont know what the hells up with this thing.
Advice: Smell the tranny fluid and look at the color. Noice may come from the converter. Or ingoing gear or tranny oil pump. It's a number of things going on in the tranny even when it is in neutral. Noisy water pump has nothing to do with rough shifting.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
b3conswj

It's a five minute job to remove the serpentine belt so you can eliminate the water pump, alternator, A/C compressor, etc. from the possible noise-making culprits.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffy
hey noobie here! My mom has a '96 Grand Cherokee LE... recently my dad used it to pull an empty horse trailor and ever since it has made a weird noise. It makes a winding type noise when accelerating and shifts hard. Can anyone please help?

Thanks
Curt

The newest Jeep noobie
b3conswj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.