Weird engine problem... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird engine problem...

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowak View Post
The flashing light is saying the cat is getting to much o2 and results in the cat getting to hot. Could be a bad cat or misfire. Also one thing I was taught is cat don't die they are killed.
Actually the flashing check engine light is the computers way of saying "Dude, something really bad just happened, shut off the motor"

It's happened to me several times over the years with different vehicle, and a bad misfire will cause it, detonation at the wrong time is bad for any engine, and the computer pretty much runs and hides behind mama's skirt.

V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Tigersan

1998 ZJ 

Yeah now I know whats up. So originally I took my niner to the shop for lifter replacement because I was almost completely
sure it was the lifters. So they did it, and since they were taking apart half of the engine anyways I gave them new BOSH
4 nozzle injectors, and alternator. So they did everything and when I came to pick the car up, it was still noisy ticking,
pinging, whatever you wanna call it. So I said "Well there's no change whatsoever" and I told them to recheck everything.
So in the end they replaced 2 rockers, and 2 pushrods, and it came out that 2 of the lifters they put in were faulty. So now
I gotta wait. They contacted the company they bought the lifters from, to get the money back for the labor... And they
have to send their own technician to the shop to see whats up... OMFG so now I gotta wait till next week. But I was right
all the way, it WAS the lifters plus some rockers and push rods were abit loose too... Guh I'll keep you guys updated.
Maybe this story will be of use to anyone else with similar problem.

On the good side of the coin... I asked them to take a look on the engine, and tell me if it looks used up or if it looks clean
and good... So they told me that the engine is REALLY clean inside and other than the loose rods rockers and lifter, whole
part they uncovered looks pristine. It doesnt take oil atall, exhaust is clean no smoke or anything. So atleast now I know
that after this job It will be a car for another hundred thou miles...

Peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.