Weird electrical issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird electrical issues

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Weird electrical issues

I'm not even sure where to start looking in my heep right now, but here's the situation.

When the jeep is running, if I turn the wheel full left, the interior lights come on and the DIC says the driver side door is open. Same thing happens at various degrees of wheel turn to the right.

It seems to only happen when the jeep is on, so I suspect something around the ignition switch, but other then that I'm lost as to what to even look for. It just started doing this on it's own, no rhyme or reason as to why it started. I didn't do any electrical work on it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
...so assuming your Jeep is right-side-up you should be ok.
Chris_W_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

broken wire in drivers door boot.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
broken wire in drivers door boot.
Really? The switch works normally and it only messes around when the wheel is turned. Guess it doesn't hurt to look. Thanks

Quote:
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Anyone else with ideas?

Quote:
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

I'm confused as to how these switches work. What triggers the interior lights? The switch that you can see(Door post near the latch), or the one on the door lock? Same question as to what triggers the VIC.
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Aceladriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
I'm confused as to how these switches work. What triggers the interior lights? The switch that you can see(Door post near the latch), or the one on the door lock? Same question as to what triggers the VIC.
It's all from the same switch, the one you can see on the body/pillar by the latch.

It reports to the BCM (body control module) and the BCM tells the lights to come on and activates the door open display on the VIC - and it's also what triggers the alarm to go off if the doors are opened while security is on.

The wiring to the latch itself is only for the lock motor.

Just an FYI somewhat related to this: On early ZJs the interior lights vs VIC and security were divided up between the switch we're talking about and another one that the early ZJs had in the door hinge areas - but I can't remember which of those switches did which, LOL.

It seems like a really oddball problem, BUT - is this with the Jeep moving? ...or just running?
If it's while you're driving and actually turning left or right I'd think it might be bad door hinge pins allowing slight movement of the door itself which can trigger the switch if it's bad enough.

If it's just doing it by turning the wheel while you're not moving - then you've got an 'interesting' problem
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Clockspring would'nt fit into the picture I would think.
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Sorry for the late reply, I managed to track down the issue. Turns out I had to "build up the door" by taping a plastic washer to the door where the switch meets it. It was never an electrical issue to begin with.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.