Weird brake issues GC ZJ 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weird brake issues GC ZJ 5.2

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
KarstenHorn
1998 ZJ 

Weird brake issues GC ZJ 5.2

Hello all.

Iím having a strange issue with intermittent dragging brakes on my 1997 GC 5.2 Limited. After changing both front brake lines from the ABS actuator Iím experiencing dragging brakes. It does not always do that and sometimes it is left front wheel, sometimes it is left rear wheel and also the right front wheel have done it. I can drive the car 100 miles with no issues and suddenly on a small 10 mile trip it will start dragging.

This is what I have done so far:

- New disks and pads front and rear.
- All calipers inspected and all pistons have been out and polished. Pistons are running so smooth that I can move them in with my fingers.

- The system has been bleeded numerous times and I have even tried to pressure bleed the system without any luck.

The brake pedal is firm with no signs of air in the system and ABS is working too. I have a very hard time believing my issue is air in the system as I canít see how that would cause a dragging brake. All my issues came after I initially changed the front brake lines.
Any good ideas what to check now?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Denmark

Karsten

KarstenHorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Air in the abs system. You need a drbiii tool to fully bleed zj brakes when you open the lines at the abs controller.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
KarstenHorn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Air in the abs system. You need a drbiii tool to fully bleed zj brakes when you open the lines at the abs controller.
Thanks for your reply and with regards to air in the ABS actuator, I have been told that pressure bleeding the brake system would cope with air in the actuator. I have pressure bleeded the whole system and cycled the ABS numerous times and still intermittent dragging brakes

I got the idea that trapped air would cause spongy brakes not dragging or locking?

I would say that it will be impossible to find that DRBIII tool here in Denmark (BTW my Jeep is European made in Austria) so I guess an ordinary EOBD tool could do the same if needed?

Regards
Karsten
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
KarstenHorn
1998 ZJ 

Hello Again

Maybe someone can educate me how trapped air should cause intermittent dragging brakes. What I find especially strange is the fact that I have seen a dragging left rear brake and I can't tie that together with the fact that it is a single brake line to both rear brakes and if the issues were caused by the ABS actuator, I would say that both rear brakes should drag at the same time?

My ABS is working perfectly and I have no issues with uneven braking and the brake pedal is firm all the time, if there was air somewhere in the system I guess I should see a bunch of other issues apart from dragging brakes?

Anyone have a good idea what else could be wrong?

Regards
Karsten
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
KarstenHorn
1998 ZJ 

Problem solved and it had nothing to do with trapped air in the ABS actuator.

Regards
Karsten
Unread 08-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
MNZJ
1993 ZJ 

well are you going to tell us what was wrong or did u just put the brakes back together wrong when u did the brakes and thats why they were dragging?
MNZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.