Weak Spark 5.2L need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Weak Spark 5.2L need help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
LonAllen
1994 ZJ 

Weak Spark 5.2L need help

I have have found that my 94 5.2L has spark but it is really weak. I can see a yellowish spark if I use a screw driver on the coil secondary and the engine block. I get an even weaker spark out of the coil wire at the distributor. No spark at the plugs.

New cap and rotor, new spark plug wires, new Crank Position Sensor, new coil. Kolak was suggesting it might be a grounding issue. Has anyone had this problem and found a bad ground causing it? Where did you find it? cleaned grounds at the block where the battery is attached and the ground on the fender beside the battery. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Unread 12-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

caps in the pcm or grounding to the coil.
have you checked coil resistances? a bad coil out of the box isn't unheard of.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
LonAllen
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
caps in the pcm or grounding to the coil.
have you checked coil resistances? a bad coil out of the box isn't unheard of.
PCM replaced in March with one I purchased from Kolak. I thought the coil might have gone bad (Mopar part replaced in April) but no change with a new one (Mopar part).
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
LonAllen
1994 ZJ 

I tried a 3rd coil and got the same results. Because I am getting a ground pulse from the PCM to fire the coil I have to believe my Crank and Cam sensors are doing their job. After some poking around the wiring I am led to believe that the PCM is not synching the coil's primary ground enough to get the current flow necessary to build up the secondary voltage high enough. I have sent the PCM in for warranty replacement. ZJ has been out of commission for over 2 months.

Interesting to note, the clearish brown rubber sealant that covers the PCM PC board was full of gaping cracks to the point that some of the installed electrical components on the board are exposed to the open air. That can't be good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.