Water Wetter? Worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water Wetter? Worth it?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Water Wetter? Worth it?

So I installed a Flowkooler pump and a thermostat, which I think is 180 or so, when I idle when it's hot out, I go past the center of my thermostat and kinda sit around there. My fan kicks on at the center too.

Should I drain my coolant, which might be a lot of water, with Water Wetter and distilled water? I want to replace my underdrive pulley but I'm worried of it causing more issues.

Unread 05-28-2015, 03:33 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You should not need the water wetter but I don't think it's a bad product. Just burp all the air out and use a 50/50 mix.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Isn't the center of the gauge 210? If you have a new water pump and thermostat and no air in the system then unfortunately I think there's something else wrong with it. 5.2/5.9 engines tend to have head gasket and head cracking issues. I've repaired a few of them myself. I would run a block test.
Unread 05-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've run water wetter and it does work. It doesn't work as well if you mix it with antifreeze because it's really meant for racers who run straight water to make track officials happy. It'll probably run a couple to a few degrees cooler but if you are that close to overheating it's probably best to fix or upgrade your cooling system instead.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

My jeep does the same i think it might just be my temp sensor i got a cheap oreillys one and when i put it,inthe temp was always about 10-15 higher than,the mopar sensor before i broke it.

I have a new pump, 180 t stat, hood vents, hood spacers (1/4"), no weather stripping, an electric fan to push air through the radiator from the outside, on top of the stock fan and i also replaced all coolant hoses/heater hoses...

Tranny i believe is no longer connected to the radiator. Im gonna try testing it manually and see how accurate that gauge really is
tjcustomranger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I might have air in my system, I really didn't do much while filling it up. Pushed on the bumper a bit to make the vehicle move.. What's the best way to fill it up?
Unread 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

With my xj we pulled the front up on a pile of dirt to get the radiator cap high above everything then just let it run and burp while we kept the coolant topped off worked pretty good.
Unread 05-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcustomranger View Post
My jeep does the same i think it might just be my temp sensor i got a cheap oreillys one and when i put it,inthe temp was always about 10-15 higher than,the mopar sensor before i broke it.

I have a new pump, 180 t stat, hood vents, hood spacers (1/4"), no weather stripping, an electric fan to push air through the radiator from the outside, on top of the stock fan and i also replaced all coolant hoses/heater hoses...

Tranny i believe is no longer connected to the radiator. Im gonna try testing it manually and see how accurate that gauge really is

I think mine may be off as well. Is there a reliable brand for the temp sensor besides Mopar?
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

Im not sure but mopar is about the same price as the"good" ones at oreillys. Ask kolak for pricing for one
Unread 05-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

To test it i read that you can take a pot of boiling water

take your temp sensor and put an alligator clip on the threads as a ground and extend the single wire on top far enough to reach the pot of water

put the end in and test the water with a thermometer.

then check your gauge in the jeep... just make sure you ground it to the jeep or it wont read on the gauge

If anything it should show if something is off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.