Water pump replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water pump replacement

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Water pump replacement

Saturday I went to change the water pump in my wife's 5.2 and I can't get the fan off. Any ideas? I tried with the belt on and breaker bar adding tension on the tensioner. I can't get the fan to break loose no matter what. I even soaked it in PB blaster all day. Any help would be great as I am itching to get this thing out on the trails.

BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

You need to use a spanner wrench or similar tool through the holes in the pump pulley to hold it steady while you break the nut loose. Some people have reported success jamming a big screwdriver through one of the holes.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
You need to use a spanner wrench or similar tool through the holes in the pump pulley to hold it steady while you break the nut loose. Some people have reported success jamming a big screwdriver through one of the holes.
Thanks. Ill look into the screw driver if my stepdad doesn't have a spanner wrench. It's a right or left handed thread?
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Hopefully this will hold the pulley to get the fan off.
image-3176825640.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

image-1447388196.jpg

What's a spanner wrench
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Pipe Wrench/ or big adjustable wrench and BFH...couple whacks breaks that nut loose every time...

Oh and make sure the serpentine belt IS ON.
tufmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
It's a right or left handed thread?
It's a right handed thread so "lefty loosey". They make a long thin open ended wrench for this task that slips in there to get on the nut. A few wacks with a hammer and the fan should spin right off.
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufmar
Pipe Wrench/ or big adjustable wrench and BFH...couple whacks breaks that nut loose every time...

Oh and make sure the serpentine belt IS ON.
I tried this with the belt on and adding extra tension. Wouldn't come off.

My home made tool was a no go. Forgot it had to wrap around the nut. So back to the BP it went and now should be able to get a bolt in two holes to hold it. :fingers crossed:
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Ok so I got the old water pump off today but tab out of time before work.

What is a good way to remove the old gasket? It seems pretty stuck on there.
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
What is a good way to remove the old gasket? It seems pretty stuck on there.
Scraper for the big stuff and then finish up with a Roloc pad.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome

Scraper for the big stuff and then finish up with a Roloc pad.
What's a roloc pad? Like scotch brite? Should I spray the water pump area down with the garden hose to ensure no crud enters the cooling system or would this make it worse? Could use rags but a hose would be faster And easier as I have to refill the rad with water for now anyhow.
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Never ever ever use a scotch bright pad for anything in your engine.... The fibers if they get into the engine will eat it alive quickly.. Use a razor blade..... or a gasket scraper
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

what i ended up doing since i was replacing the water pump anyway and didnt care if i damaged it, was i took a huge flat screwdriver and beat it in behind the pulley with a big hammer. this gave me enough friction to break the fan clutch loose without the water pump spinning.
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio
what i ended up doing since i was replacing the water pump anyway and didnt care if i damaged it, was i took a huge flat screwdriver and beat it in behind the pulley with a big hammer. this gave me enough friction to break the fan clutch loose without the water pump spinning.
So that's the screwdriver trick that someone mentioned. Lol
I ended up making my own tool that hold the pulley by two holes. After that didn't move on me one good whack from my dead low hammer on the wrench and it came off good.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

I got the water pump changed Saturday and took it for a quick spin in the field(15 min) and I started to run a little warm(220) so we shut it down.

When I finished the water pump the rad still looked full so I just filled the reservoir back up. When we parked it for a bit after the test run,we heard a gurgle and the reservoir was almost empty again. Was there air in the system that had to work its way out?

Also the small "tube" that goes in the top right of the pump had some sort of rubberish sealant. I replaced the o-ring that came with the pump but that's it. When I first parked it after the test run the coolant was bubbling up at this "tube". What sort of sealant should I use here? Could this also make it run a little warm?
Sorry such a long post..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.