Water pump repair pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water pump repair pics

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Water pump repair pics

Pretty straight forward repair. When I took the belt off it started dripping coolant from behind the pulley. I probably would have broken down the next time I drove it. You can see the gunked/burnt coolant on the bottom where it had been leaking.
All my hoses and coolant were new so I reused all. I put a very thin layer coolant safe RTV on each side of the gasket and made sure to get around the bolts.
I did not remove the PWR steering bracket, alternator, or A/C compressor. To get the bypass hose off I loosened the hose clamp and carefully pried it up with a flat head driver and worked around the bottom to unseat it. When I had all the bolts off I wiggled the hose the rest of the way off. For re install I put the hose on first then lined the pump up and held it in place with the torx bolt. Channel locks helped me wiggle the hose back on the rest of the way.
You need to put that torx bolt in the new pump before you install it because the pulley gets in the way.
Removed the E fan.
The one torx bit is a T-50. It's not possible to get a socket on it since it's so close to the pulley.
Cleaned up the mating surface with a razor scraper and some fine grip sand paper then sprayed it off with the hose. Forgot to take pics.
Cleaned all the 7 bolts up, installed, and torqued to 30 ft pounds.
Lubed up the new O ring and tapped the heater line in. Bolted it down and RTVed around it. The old O ring was basically dry rotted on there and split right off with a little digging.
The crown replacement looks great and is working nicely. Buttoned it all back up and ran it for 15 minutes with the A/C on and the temp held fine.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps6176bfd2.png

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Drinking beer while doing repairs makes me start leaking.
Good write up Polka. A bit more in the mix than my 4.0 looks like, but at least the efan gives a little more space to work doesn't it?
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Drinking beer while doing repairs makes me start leaking.
Good write up Polka. A bit more in the mix than my 4.0 looks like, but at least the efan gives a little more space to work doesn't it?
Yea there is vast amounts of room in there with it out.
It felt like a jungle out today. Rained like a mofo yesterday then the sun came out and it got real humid. Between the heat and the beer I kept looking for things that were right in front of me. That beer is 8.5%.
Cleaning all the gasket off and the bolts is what took the longest. I noticed some pitting in the metal too. That's why I used the RTV.
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

How did you know it was going bad, assuming it wasnt leaking?
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
How did you know it was going bad, assuming it wasnt leaking?
I am under the front end a lot just to check stuff out. This time I had just gotten done replacing the steering gear and I noticed a drop of green coolant on the harmonic balancer. I got out the flashlight and mirror and tracked it down to right under the pump pulley. That's when I saw all the evaporated black coolant grime in the first pic. Other than that it didn't give me any other signs.

It can also leak from the timing case cover gasket and I had to make sure it wasn't that or any of the hoses first.

I was very lucky I saw that because I had intended on taking it for a 3.5 hour trip out of town that weekend. That would have sucked!

Here is a pretty good video tutorial on water pump replacement for a dodge magnum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEvpfwf3fJs
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Drove mine for about 2 weeks with it pouring. Poor choice. Nice write up. Good call on the beer, Happy 12k post sir

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Drove mine for about 2 weeks with it pouring. Poor choice. Nice write up. Good call on the beer, Happy 12k post sir
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Yea there is vast amounts of room in there with it out.
It felt like a jungle out today. Rained like a mofo yesterday then the sun came out and it got real humid. Between the heat and the beer I kept looking for things that were right in front of me. That beer is 8.5%.
Cleaning all the gasket off and the bolts is what took the longest. I noticed some pitting in the metal too. That's why I used the RTV.
I can't believe it rained that much yesterday. In AZ it would rain for an hour and be done. Not a full day. I hate the humid heat. I have to work on the sound system Tuesday and I'm not looking forward to the humidness. Were did you but the replacement water pump?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.