Water Pump is leaking, what should i do ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water Pump is leaking, what should i do ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Water Pump is leaking, what should i do ?

Bout 4-5 weeks ago me and my buddy fixed my timing cover gasket on my 5.9l which was leaking coolant, replaced the timing chain as well, and also replaced the water pump seal since we had everything apart. I didnt get a new water pump tho because i ran out of money.

I noticed the water pump gasket seems to be leaking coolant very slowely, and only when there is pressure in the system when im driving ect, over the course of 3 weeks i have lost bout an inch of coolant in the reservoir tank.. Not a lot 1 inch is probly like 1 cup but still. I just did an oil change so i while i was there i tightend the 2 bolts on the bottom of the waterpump as tight as i could but i guess that didnt help.

The blown seal seems to be at the knuckle where the bolt on the bottom by the balencer is. Its all sticky green right there and i dont see any coming from above.

Should i just replace the whole water pump or get a new gasket and use permatax with the gasket this time ? Im curious tho why would this brand new gasket leak ? My buddy moved and took all his tools with him so its gonna be a pain for me to replace this thing along with the tools i got. Im also wondering if i should get a lower pressure cap on the radiator ? All these blown gasket problems didnt happen until i replaced my radiator cap... maybe a coincedence or something but i dunno. The cap i got was the 18PSI oem cap for the 5.9, im thinking maybe getting a 16psi one. I dunno

Im considering just driving it till next year and fill it up with coolant when it gets low, at its current rate i only need to pour 1 cup in there every month.

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Did you just use the gasket, or did you use some gasket sealer? I replaced mine when the gasket blew and used the gasket and gasket sealer, put a bunch of that stuff on there so it wouldn't leak for sure.
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

For the timing cover and waterpump, we used just the gasket's by themselves, It was a Felpro gasket set, the timing cover gasket felt like a thin metal gasket with 2 metal wires going around it i guess to act as a barrier. The waterpump gasket was like a paper gasket i thought about using Permetax gasket maker with the felpro gaskets but i didnt.
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Ah. Mine was a Felpro paper gasket too. Either keep spending the money and putting anti freeze back in when it needs it or I would take the water pump off and put some sealer on it along with the gasket. Its up to you though.
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

what sealer should i use tho that can hold up to the pressure ?
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
melk
1996 ZJ 

Did my water pump a few weeks ago, used a bit of superglue on the gasket just to keep it in place. Seems to be working fine.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Check any auto parts store and they'll have numerous sealers there that will hold up fine. I don't remember exactly what one I used, it was a pinkish color and is still holding up fine. Dries pretty solid (I'm not a perfectionist so it ran over the edges of the gasket to where you can see it) I touched it and wouldn't budge. Also, did you clean up where the old gasket was? If you leave it be and let all that junk stay on there you won't get a good seal from a new gasket. I took a wall paper scraper and cleaned it up all nice so it was smooth. You'll get some junk in the cylinder compartment where the water pump is just clean it up as best you can when you're done.
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
jeepyard
1993 ZJ 

I like the ultra black silicone or the ultra grey silicone. I usually put a thin layer on the pump and stick the gasket on the pump and them i put a thin layer on the gasket to seal it to the timing cover. Just make sure all the old gasket is cleaned off the timing cover and the water pump is clean. You may also want to check the o-ring on the metal water tube, i have pinched the o-ring before and had to go back and put another one on.
jeepyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
gunner44
1997 ZJ 

I used high track gasket sealant by Permatex , Item 80062, Google it. It think sabzz is talking about the same thing. On the other hand I don't know how I am going to get this stuff off if I ever have to do it again. You can hear the water pump if it is going out. See my Bog, If it was me I would change the water pump if it is making any noise at all or there is a lot of miles on it. Changing it in the snow is no fun. When it goes out, and freezes up, you will continue about 100 feet. The fan belt burns in half. The towing charge and renting another car to get the parts would have bought a lot of tools.

Think about it, all those parts have been off a short time ago, no froze bolts, that's heaven. Though its like throwing up to do it over, Don't do what I do, think about it longer then it takes to do.
gunner44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

It wasnt leaking prior to this, just the timing cover was leaking. It isnt making any noise either. The leak started after we replaced the old gasket because it was apart anyway after we took the timing cover off.

Guess I'll go rent a torque wrench here soon, get the permatax stuff, and a new water pump gasket and try to fix this, that and get a new thermatsta which i didnt do either cause of money issues lol.. How much torque on the bolts again ? I believe it was 30lbs right
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

There's a good possibility the water pump has a bent flange from the first removal. I won't even take a remanufactured pump out of the parts store til it's been eyeballed for straightness, probably 1 in 10 fail.

Consider scouring the net for a discount pump if the swap is a hassle for ya. Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Might as well replace it while its off, their only about 30 bucks or so. Save you the trouble for when it does go out.
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

$30 , from what i've seen the new pump is $70 online and $100 in stores.

As for the flange, maybe..... the leak is coming from the lower left if you were facing the pump . In this link, the leak is coming the lower left bolt hole.. not outa the bolt itself but the gasket right there... at least i think it is... i see water marks on both side tho, but the only sticky drip mark is on that corner.. i think the other side has the water marks because the balencer is throwing the coolant all over once it drips on it.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Jeep/Gra...88/309549.html
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Whoops. Was talking about one for a 97 4.0, not the 5.9. MB.
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Here are couple pics, i checked the weep hole just now and its dry as a bone, so its deff the gasket on the bottom

See that corner bolt above the balencer ? Thats where i think its leaking from that or the middle between the 2 bolts on the side where i cant see cause the balencer is in the way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.