water pump leaking.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > water pump leaking..

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
npray
1996 ZJ 

water pump leaking..

the water pump on my GC 4.0 L decided to take a poop today and leak all over the place... how hard is it to replace ? I'm in a bind and can't afford to bring it to a shop..

npray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

It isn't to hard. I think when I did it on a 4.0 zj I removed the fan then removed and replaced the pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I cut my fan shroud, just enough, to gain better access

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

It's not hard at all, two hours of work tops. Just make sure you remove all of the old seal before putting the new stuff on.
98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

In the garage: 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD, Artec 8.8 swap kit and truss

My 5.9 BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1095938/

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
donha1mn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

how hard is it on the 5.2 v8? mine did the same thing and now I have been filling it every few days.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

The water pump on my '93 ZJ 4.0L started leaking two weeks ago... I bought a new pump, but then I sprained my ankle and I haven't gotten back to it. Fortunately I have a lot of other things to drive. You need to get the fan and the shroud loose and remove them together. I like to slide a piece of cardboard between the shroud and the radiator first, just so that I don't accidentally put a hole in the radiator or bend too many fins with the fan (been there, done that).
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
fixitfirstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUSS View Post
The water pump on my '93 ZJ 4.0L started leaking two weeks ago... I bought a new pump, but then I sprained my ankle and I haven't gotten back to it. Fortunately I have a lot of other things to drive. You need to get the fan and the shroud loose and remove them together. I like to slide a piece of cardboard between the shroud and the radiator first, just so that I don't accidentally put a hole in the radiator or bend too many fins with the fan (been there, done that).
Ditto Mauss, then I clamped the new pump in a vise by the power steering pump bracket ears and turned the steel pipe for the heater hose in with some mopar teflon thread sealant paste. Line it up next to the valve cover and adjust it by placing the pump in the hole with no gasket. Once its in place where you want it go ahead and put on the gasket and give it a squeeze.
fixitfirstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
donha1mn
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footinmouth47 View Post
how hard is it on the 5.2 v8? mine did the same thing and now I have been filling it every few days.
Greg
I replaced my water pump in my 5.9 about 2 years ago. Its essentially as hard as everybody is saying. Remove fan and shroud, remove a few bolts, disconnect the hose, remove pump and old seal, and then put it back together with the new kit. Like I said before, like 2 hours max depending on your luck
98 5.9 ZJ: 4.5" IRO + 1" spacers w/IRO front adjustable long arms and rear adjustable CAs, IRO OTK steering, KOR steering brace, JKS quick disconnects, IRO belly skid, Bilsteins, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MT sidebiters, ARB bumper w/ WARN M8000 and 2 55W Hella Black Magic, JCR stage 2 sliders, Bushwackers, AEM CAI, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, 3" Kolak exhaust w/Flowmaster 44

In the garage: 8.8 w/4.10s and LSD, Artec 8.8 swap kit and truss

My 5.9 BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1095938/

RIP TROY
RIP RATMONKEY
donha1mn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

great. thanks donha1mn.

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.