Water pump gasket won't clean off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water pump gasket won't clean off

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
gwak
1994 ZJ 

Water pump gasket won't clean off

I have been hitting this thing with Goof Off, engine degreaser, razor blade(which has been scratching the hell out of it), and gasket scraper and it will not clean off. I have been at it for several hours. I don't have any fancy tools like a grinder with a brush wheel so I have to use basic stuff for it. Any advice?

I also have RTV if perhaps that would work over the regular gasket. I would imagine the liquid silicone would form around the old crap stuck on there.

gwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Mayb go to harbor freight and get a mini pen torch and try n heat it up then scrape it off. Just an idea I've used before. Just be careful, obviously lol.
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

you could pick up a dremel with a wire wheel for it. I think they are around $20 for a basic one.
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
gwak
1994 ZJ 

Torch is out of the question because the head and the inner part is covered with solvents. Won't a wire wheel cause a bunch of damage to the head?
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

You sure what you think is a gasket, is not actually corrosion on that aluminum? I'd try gasket remover before anything else, it should come right off. When I did the pump on my ZJ 4.0 it was easy to get off. I used a gasket scraper to get it off and that did not scratch up the sealing surface. I coated the gasket on both sides with a marine gasket sealer I use on the boat (same thing as Permatex Aviation Sealer). Works great no leaks.
Spray some gasket remover on it, let it sit a while and use a gasket scraper and it should come off. I'd use some kind of sealer like the Permatex that does not harden up to make sure it seals.
old-water-pump-out.jpg  
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
gwak
1994 ZJ 

It's definitely not corrosion. When I scrape I am getting very very small amounts of gasket fibers. It is welded on there. My jeep absolutely has to be running by tomorrow night so I guess I am going to have to figure something out soon. If I go get a dremel, do I get the copper or the steel wire brush?
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwak View Post
It's definitely not corrosion. When I scrape I am getting very very small amounts of gasket fibers. It is welded on there. My jeep absolutely has to be running by tomorrow night so I guess I am going to have to figure something out soon. If I go get a dremel, do I get the copper or the steel wire brush?
Id go with the copper first. Its a softer metal. If that don't work switch to steel.but be careful it may scratch with the steel brush
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

the gasket will negate any minor scratches you put in the metal with a wire wheel. just be sensible and do it carefully
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
gwak
1994 ZJ 

So basically just turn the dremel on and barely make contact with the head and apply pressure if it won't scrape off? I just hope this crap works tomorrow or I am in deep sheet. Both these brushes look pretty different. Which one should I go with?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-1-8...h-537/22939879

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-Bra...h-536/22939843

Also do I go with a corded or cordless drill? I can't imagine I would need the extra power from the corded one but I had a cordless a long while ago and I remember it would bog down pretty quick if any pressure was applied to the tool attachment.

Also one other question. Should I apply rtv to both sides of the gasket or is just the gasket enough?
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Rikoshay
1998 ZJ 

Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a can of Permatex Gasket Remover.

The gasket will bubble up and should come right off.
Rikoshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Put a thin coat of Permatex on both sides of new gasket and bolt er up. You'll be fine. Don't overtorque the thing.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

It looks to me like you just have a few places with a bit of gasket left behind. Have you run a straightedge over the surface and made sure the darks spots aren't just corrosion? I second (or third) the gasket remover spray. I've used it a couple times on really tough gaskets and it helps. I've also had good luck running a fine flat bastard file lightly over the surface and letting the file cut the remaining gasket down to flat. Obviously you have to be very careful especially on aluminum. 95% of the time though I get by with just a single edged razor blade.
zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I've always used a very sharp pocket knife..very carefully. Sometimes I hold the blade straight against the gasket surface and LIGHTLY scrape the gasket. It plays he11 on the blade, but it does the job nicely if you take your time and are careful. I've never gouged a gasket surface, either. Patience is the key to it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Gasket remover spray as mentioned. Then while your at the AP store get the water pump specific sealant.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
zacko-zj
1998 ZJ 

Dude, man up and use the wire wheel. You can see the gasket going away and if you can damage the timing housing then your name must be Lurch.
zacko-zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.