water pump causes poor acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > water pump causes poor acceleration

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

water pump causes poor acceleration

What would cause bog-down when accelerating up-hill?
add; grand-limited-5.2- was accelerating fine before leaving...

Driving to Kentucky from Knoxville, accelerate to pass is good on way there, then higher elevation and starts bogging down when trying to pass on those uphill ‘truck passing lane’ areas, = they are short and require a “foot down” to pass before the lane ends and two vehicles are side by side.

I was thinking it was due to elevation, maybe the computer was not compensating enough for thinner air -- but on the way back the condition became worse. Ease on to the throttle and we speed up with ‘ease’, but accelerate hard, even on level ground and it bogs, I checked the TV-cable, it is not broken or disconnected.
Next thing is when I got home and stopped, water began pouring out at the center/ uh water pump area. Next day verified that the water is leaking at the pump’s shaft out-to-pulley area.
?? Faulty water pump causes poor acceleration?? That makes no sense.

Things to do tomorrow,
check plugs for fouling.
Check throttle cable and TV cable travel.
Check plug wires … tuneup with new wires was done only 2 months ago, and this is not my daily driver.

I gladly listen to the voice of experience;

Unread 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

How hot was it getting with that bad waterpump?
jm8881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

So how long ago was it since you changed the fuel and airfilter?.
Because that is usualy what happends if one of those filters are clogged (exept the waterleak)
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

right, thanks ..

fuel filter 5 months ago, air filter 1 month ago,
and the odd thing about the water pump, temps stayed at about 180 all the way home, just my luck that it only really poured out when I stopped in my driveway.

I was hoping to fix whatever with the engine while I have the tools out for the water pump.

full tuneup 5 months ago, and the 'ease on pedal = accelerate no problem' that leaves me unsure of were to look for the problems solution, / since my earliest opportunity to investigate further is tomorrow, I am gathering as many "where to look next" ideas as I can, possible some debris got to the cold intake and partial blocked there...
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

AND While replacing the water pump, noticed the ?short return water hose? under the support brace looked puffed up, replaced that and the pump.
Then, it "just came to me" even though I had replace the fuel filter in December, I had planned to do that again about now. So replaced fuel filter.

I dont know what that sort hose is supposed to do, but I do know it is a serious project to replace.

The bogging down on acceleration is gone. -- the first time the fuel filter poured out some black "stuff" -- this time it looked clean, But engine runs fine now.

SO; bogging down = check obstructions, air filter, TPS, and fuel filter ....
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Short hose is the bypass hose
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

Still Bogging Down, battery is good, alt is good, new TPS, air filter new, TVcable is good,
--- see above, when I replaced the fuel filter, the problem seemed to go away -- but that was only momentary.

runs normal, revs normal, drives slow normal, but accelerate and it acts like it cant make up its mind to go or slow = rapid rev up and slow down -repeats as long as pressing accelerator,
let off and just ease on to the accelerator and it will run on down the street.

the cat is bad, the tailpipe is open between the cat and muffler, (parts on order) is that something that would cause the erratic acceleration?
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
kachink
1998 ZJ 

If the cat is disintegrating inside it can partially block exhaust flow and cause those symptoms. The blockage is not complete, so it's only noticeable in high flow situations.
kachink is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.