Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Water Pump

812 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  thunderchooch 
#1 ·
Hey all-
Just looking for someone who has replaced a water pump on a 93 5.2 GC. Looks like mine is shot- coolant leaking out, and it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the hoses.
Just not as much space to work as on a fullsize chevy- so looking for some tips if there are any.

Thankx

#2 ·
I replaced mine a couple years ago & lucky for me, my brain has erased most of the memories of it. I think there's a small, nearly hidden hose behind it that makes the job a real b*tch - at least it did for me. And I think you need a large strap wrench to hold the pulley so the fan can be removed.

You can do it, sorry I'm not much help. Someone who's done this more recently (& has a better memory) should jump in here with better info. Good luck! :)

#3 ·
I just did mine about 2 weeks ago. First I took out the two screws that hold on the fan shroud, then you need wrench to put on the fan nut. Then here is the part you need 2 people for. one to hit the wrench with a mallet or hammer and 1 to pull on the belt to put tension on it so the fan won't just spin. After that just take off the fan and the shroud . THen remove the bolts, a few are shorter than the others so remember where they go. Then take off the hoses that connect to it. MaineZJ was right when he said the little hose on top is a pain in the *ss. Just make sure to get a gasket scraper of some sort to scrape all the old gasket off. Then use the new gasket you will get with the new pump and some Silicone RTV to seal it on there real good. WHen you are putting the pump back on even before you put any bolts back on try to hook up the small top hose first. That can take some time!! THen just put the bolts back on and connect the hoses and the belt. Thats about it!!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.