Water leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water leak

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 07-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Water leak

94 grand Cherokee, water leaking in at top of rear hatch through inside of small cover around brake light, the weatherstrip is new and I have tried to duplicate the leak with a garden hose but cannot. Does anyone have any other ideas?

94grand52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Also it doesn't seem to leak when it is sitting when I pull out of the driveway the water starts leaking in
Unread 07-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Rear washer hose leaking? It's in the right area.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

I'll try it
Unread 07-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

Is there anyway it could be leaking through the roof rack bolts?
Unread 07-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

Could be. I had a leak similar to yours, only when it sat in a pouring rain though. Didnt find out till i tossed the headliner, that pretty much all my roof rack bolts leaked, but the rears were the worst offenders.

I put sealant of all kinds in the holes, on the bolts, and all around the bolts and the roof on the inside. Stopped the leaks in the rear and the fronts mostly, but all the others still leak. The only one that dont leak, is the one that is missing completely, that PO must have removed the bolt and the screw boss completely, and sealed it with something. Just wish i knew what it was.

-AJ
marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It can, but you would likely see that in the headliner.

This is an XJ but the design is very similar. It would take one hell of a gorilla to make those rivnuts leak any significant amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
94grand52
1994 ZJ 

I sealed all of the roof rack bolts and the washer nozzle I guess we'll see what happens next time it rains
Unread 07-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Had a problem similar,with a new gasket. The bump stops on the hatch were squished. This would allow the hatch to shift a minute amount when moving and allow the water to get in. Replaced and the water stopped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.