Water on floor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Water on floor

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
wcf59
1998 ZJ 

Water on floor

I periodically get water on the passenger side floor and carpets of my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's not the A/C drain. It only happens after a heavy rain. I have a sunroof so it may be the drain for that but I'm not sure how to clean that out. I'm thinking it may be the area below the windshield where the air intake for the heat/defrost/etc is. Is there a drain in that area that could be clogged and overflow into the heater box?

wcf59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
MasterOne
1998 ZJ 

This is a common issue on many cars, and the ZJ is no exception. You probably have to take your windshield cowl off and clean all the debris out of there with a shop vac and a small attachment, because the drains are plugged and the water is overflowing and going into the ventilation intake. This happened to me before on a ZJ, and the aforementioned did the trick.
MasterOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

There are ways to clear drains out. you can prob see the front ones, the ones that is leaking or plugged. An air nozzle with a hose on it may clear it out. I thought I had a photo but at work so not so much. Is the vehicle level when this happens? Does it leak only during heavy rain?
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
wcf59
1998 ZJ 

Its been on level and on inclines when it happened. How do I access the drains in front of the cowl?
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
masonroxy
1994 ZJ 

zj water on pass floor !!!

yea your chryslr dum desighn drain that spills inside the frame is clogged ! take up the floor and drill that stupid plastic piece in firew wall and rod it out use welding rod or what have you, then permatex it back up ! salute it it and put everything back ... rug etc
masonroxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
wcf59
1998 ZJ 

I've cleaned out what I could under the cowl. I couldnt get the wiper arms off to remove the whole top but was able to work around it. Not much debris under there though. I couldnt find a place where the water runs out though but it does drain out. I pulled all of the carpet out to dry things out and see if I can find a leak but no luck. I drilled out the black plastic piece for the AC drain and cleared it. How do I find the sunroof drains? Does anyone have pics of the areas I should be checking and clearing?
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
justpino
1998 ZJ 

Following up on @wcf59 does anyone have pics of all the drains we need to clear?

I'm having a difficult time finding them.
justpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
wcf59
1998 ZJ 

Here's where I am. I pulled all of the carpet out. I removed the cover to the cowl area and clear all of t hat out. I sprayed water directly in there and it seems all of the drains are clear. I had an area toward the rear corner of the passenger side that when I shot water right into that area I got running inside so I sealed that with brushable seam sealer. I'm still getting water inside. In fact last night it was parked on level parking lot and it rained. I got a lot water inside on the passenger floor. There is a piece of rubber insulator that comes down from behind the dash board and the water seems to come in behind that as the side facing the interior does not get wet.
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
wcf59
1998 ZJ 

Update

I followed the directions on another post and cut a hole in the front passenger wheel well on access the AC drain tube. I sealed around the base of the tube. I then added two pieces of rubber hose and a pvc elbow. One piece of hose goes on the drain tube, the elbow connects to it, then the other piece of hose goes on the other end of the elbow to direct the water flow out into the wheel well. I'll weld a piece of metal to cover the hole I cut, but I'm going to leave a hole at the bottom to help drain any water that finds its way down by the AC drain tube.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

WCF, did you ever determine if it was the AC drain or something else? I am having the same issue on my 98 and have no clue where the water is coming from. I used a wet vac to remove water in the passenger side floorboard almost two weeks ago and when I checked it again this evening it was still pretty damp. It hasn't rained much since then and I have not ran the AC during that time so I am kind of miffed.
wwcenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Once you guys get the leak fixed, you need to pull up the passenger side carpet and peel ( or slice) most of that clear plastic sheath away from the bottom of the foam or it wont ever dry. I did that and took a shop vac to mine and you wouldnt believe the amt of water that foam holds. In areas where I didnt ( or couldnt, effectively) want to remove it it, I sliced up the clear plastic on the bottom so it would eventually drain out and dry.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Once you guys get the leak fixed, you need to pull up the passenger side carpet and peel ( or slice) most of that clear plastic sheath away from the bottom of the foam or it wont ever dry.
Thanks Frog, will do.
wwcenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcenturion View Post
WCF, did you ever determine if it was the AC drain or something else? I am having the same issue on my 98 and have no clue where the water is coming from. I used a wet vac to remove water in the passenger side floorboard almost two weeks ago and when I checked it again this evening it was still pretty damp. It hasn't rained much since then and I have not ran the AC during that time so I am kind of miffed.
Try checking your heater core my heater core is bad so when the jeep gets up to operating temperature it tends to make a spewing sound from the dash on the.passenger side when it does it the windshield wants to fog up and you can see vapors coming threw the dash i can also see the coolant bubble from where the heater hose attaches to the firewall in the engine compartment.so your heater core could be loosing coolant leaving it in the only place it can which is in the passenger floor pan
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
Doofutz
2011 JK Wrangler 

An alternate cause for this

I read so much of this forum when trying to troubleshoot the wet floor in my old 1995 GC Ltd that I feel sorta obligated to contribute back with my own solution.

I read everywhere that AC drain is a likely cause so I drilled the hole and ran the wires down it. Nothing. I kept asking the teenage driver if it happens only when he's driving or when it's parked -- I got the "I dunno" shrug.

So yesterday I dug in and started taking things apart -- pulled back carpet, cut out the soaked foam pads to dry, ran hose down windshield, into wheel-wells, etc... finally parking it so that the nose was uphill and running the hose along the cowl triggered a leak! Yay, a repro case!

The water was dripping off the fan housing bolts -- I removed the fan and got a face full of water. Contorting my hand into the opening and reaching towards the steering column, I encountered pine needles -- lots of pine needles. Like 2 cups worth. Parking it under a tree for 19 years finally caught up to me.

After digging out as much as possible by hand, I outfitted my shop vac with a 1 inch hose and snaked it into the opening and got about another cup of needles out. Now to test my fix. I filled a turkey baster with water and squirted it into the hole and verified that it came back out under the car as expected. Now car is filled with fans to try and dry the carpet pad but I'm pretty sure I have fixed it.
Doofutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.