water entering vehicle when raining - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > water entering vehicle when raining

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Dtperrell
1995 ZJ 

So I've recently discovered this problem with my 95 and I've read some of the comments and I'm so lost, i have no idea where to even start looking for a solution. can someone help me?

Dtperrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

My jeep was leaking on the passenger side floor in the front. It would get the a/c box and I/P fuse block soaking wet. I had to take the fuse block out several times to dry it out and added dielectric grease to all the connectors and relays. The water would cause stuff to stay cut on after you turned the ignition off. After sealing off the radio antenna grommet, passenger door pass thru grommet, cleaning the cowl drains, and sealing of the roof rack bolts, it would still leak just as bad as before. I finally found the culprit after taking off the cowl cover. The water was somehow puddling up and flooding over in between the fresh air intake duct of the a/c box and the cowl. Sealed it off with strip caulk and have had a dry floor board since
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

I also had to seal off the a/c drain tube grommet/seal where the a/c box passes through the firewall and added an elbow to the drain tube before fixing all the other leaks
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
Dtperrell
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech22 View Post
My jeep was leaking on the passenger side floor in the front. It would get the a/c box and I/P fuse block soaking wet. I had to take the fuse block out several times to dry it out and added dielectric grease to all the connectors and relays. The water would cause stuff to stay cut on after you turned the ignition off. After sealing off the radio antenna grommet, passenger door pass thru grommet, cleaning the cowl drains, and sealing of the roof rack bolts, it would still leak just as bad as before. I finally found the culprit after taking off the cowl cover. The water was somehow puddling up and flooding over in between the fresh air intake duct of the a/c box and the cowl. Sealed it off with strip caulk and have had a dry floor board since
What do you mean by the cowl cover?
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

plastic cover under the wiper arms
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

an example of the area I'm talking about except this is on an xj
cowl-leak-020b.jpg

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
Dtperrell
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech22 View Post
an example of the area I'm talking about except this is on an xj
So you put silicone around that white thing?
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

Yea I found it easier to use strip caulking because it's covered for the most part under the cowl. You're trying to seal between the base of the white thing and the metal it protrudes from. On mine I sealed off the one corner you can actually see, and built a wall up around the back and front of it so water could not get to the rear of the white thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.