water entering vehicle when raining - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > water entering vehicle when raining

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

water entering vehicle when raining

so this ZJ is still fairly new to me. I noticed my carpets getting wet so I rip them out.
I found out I'm getting a leak right underneath the dash board.
Looked around and all the windshield seals look fine.
What an I missing?

Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Which side is it on? Are you sure it's water?
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
muddylife

leak

If could be yor heater core leaking, Have some one run water from hose around wind
shield slowey to see it its leaking anwhere.
muddylife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
mac96zj
1996 ZJ 

Mine had the same issue only when it rained. Got the windshield resealed and that took care of it.
mac96zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
dernjeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac96zj
Mine had the same issue only when it rained. Got the windshield resealed and that took care of it.
My 95 does the exact same thing. How much did it cost you to get your windshield reasealed?
dernjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

Only when it rains.Im gonna pull the rubber seal and caulk it myself if that turns out to be the problem I checked with water running but solly me ran the water from the bottom and around the firewall.

Water may be entering from above and working its way down before finally dropping Fromm behind the dash
Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
mac96zj
1996 ZJ 

It cost me 100 bucks to reseal. But I live in a hot desart climate and the seal was dried out causing the leak. Because of that I had taken it to two different glass shops and both had said we have a 50/50 chance of getting the glass out without breaking it. So in my case I had to be prepared to buy a new windshield before they attempted to reseal it. A new glass would have run me just over 200 bucks. But they were able to pull it out and reseal without breaking it.
mac96zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
dernjeep
1995 ZJ 

Oh ok well I'm better off getting a whole new windshield then. I have a commercial account with a glass shop and got a brand new window for my Hyundai for 140 bucks. I bet for a way more common jeep it would be about the same maybe a little cheaper.
dernjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I had a problem with water on the passenger side floor when I bought my jeep. Turned out the drain line for the ac/heater was clogged. I searched and found out the exact spot to drill, pushed a coat hanger through it, and sealed the drilled hole back up. Problem solved. I eventually put screening on the opening under the cowl to prevent crud from plugging it back up again.
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
deadthugg
1998 ZJ 

If you got a sunroof,my zj drain tubes were leaking it was running down into the dash soaking the carpet
deadthugg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Also check the front of the luggage rack seals where the screws go through since it's a common place for leaks. I just shot some silicone in the holes w/screws removed and re-installed them.

On my spare 93 XJ the windshield seal was leaking and just ran a fine bead of 100% silicone around the seal where it meets the glass Also ran another bead where the seal meets the body w/a caulking gun which sealed the leaks. Cheap fix for under $5 and really doesn't look that bad while hardly noticeable.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
I had a problem with water on the passenger side floor when I bought my jeep. Turned out the drain line for the ac/heater was clogged. I searched and found out the exact spot to drill, pushed a coat hanger through it, and sealed the drilled hole back up. Problem solved. I eventually put screening on the opening under the cowl to prevent crud from plugging it back up again.
I also did the clogged drain hose repair as can be seen below. Instead of using a rubber plug for covering the hole I just use a piece of duct tape, which doesn't leak, since have to unclog the drain line a few times a year.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-drain-501895/

I'm interested where did you put this screen under the cowl, how did you do it, and did you just use aluminum window screen? I live in the woods and am constantly fishing tree crap out of the hose/drilled hole. Also I have to use needle-nose or a wire to fish leaves/stems/seeds out of the open ends where the hood hinges are. Thanks for any info!

Unread 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I plugged the hole with a bolt that fit (after it made its own threads) with a glob of silicone on it.

I'll try to explain the screen I made the best I can without pics. When you pull the cowl, you'll see the air intake on the passenger side. Mine had a plastic "screen" over it with very large holes. I had some regular fiberglass? house screen in a roll, so I used that over the plastic screen. I did it quick and ugly, I cut the screen way too big, folded it in half to cover it on both sides, and used a regular paper stapler to stitch all the sides together. IIRC, there's a plastic tab on one end of the plastic screen, and I had to cut a slit in the screening to let the tab stick out. I didn't care how it looked, it gets covered with the cowl, I just wanted it to function.
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks, and I wasn't sure what's under the cowl since I've never had it off. When I hose or blow the current plastic grate off I can tell some of the small stuff get's through. I'll give it a shot and have some nylon screen down the basement. Appreciate the info.

Unread 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
Caelum
2003 WJ 

Heater core
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.