JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Water in the carpet (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/water-carpet-1599913/)

Kingr98 09-18-2013 04:17 PM

Water in the carpet

So I found my back passenger carpet wet the other day.

This spring, I drilled the hole in the A/C drain to clean it out. I cut a hole in the wheelwell and added a piece of hose pointing down and put RTV around the tube where it passes through the firewall. Everything worked great.

Yesterday, I removed the plug that I put in the hole that I drilled and a lot of water poured out. I pushed my antenna through the hole and when I pulled it out, it was covered with alge(maybe?). Replugged the hole and everything is fine again.

My question is this: how would I know to open it up and clean it out BEFORE the carpet gets wet? Or, is this something that I should see as routine maintenance every three months or so?

AnotherRedZj 09-18-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingr98 (Post 16120033)
So I found my back passenger carpet wet the other day.

This spring, I drilled the hole in the A/C drain to clean it out. I cut a hole in the wheelwell and added a piece of hose pointing down and put RTV around the tube where it passes through the firewall. Everything worked great.

Yesterday, I removed the plug that I put in the hole that I drilled and a lot of water poured out. I pushed my antenna through the hole and when I pulled it out, it was covered with alge(maybe?). Replugged the hole and everything is fine again.

My question is this: how would I know to open it up and clean it out BEFORE the carpet gets wet? Or, is this something that I should see as routine maintenance every three months or so?

that drain runs at an incline, so water IS gonna build up there. every time you pull that plug expect it run out. seal that plug real good and dont worry about it unless your not draining out the hose you put in the wheel well.

check your door seals for leak if its jus in the back.

Kingr98 09-18-2013 09:18 PM

I figured out that the water in the back is definitly coming out of the rear vents. When I accelerated, water would actually flow out of the vents. I think that because the drain was stopped up that water was overflowing through the evaporator into the lower vents???

It was parked nose down, so I would think that the water would have drained out. The amount that came out was significant.

ZeeJay1997 09-19-2013 06:15 AM

Living here in Bamazon presents conditions that promote growth of molds. I've never had the problem you have, but I keep mine in the carport.

With algae growing in there it tells me there is plant material in the box that is fueling the mold growth. If you park under trees or dont know the history of the vehicle, the box may have excessive plant material. This will prevent the drainage from occurring the way it was intended.

Couple of things to try... About a mile or so before you get to where you're going to park for the night, turn the AC off, put the blower on high, and the vents on one of the outside air positions. This will purge a lot of excess moisture from the box.

There is thread on here that shows how to surgically remove the trash without pulling the box. I dont recommend it because I dont like to cut a vehicle up unless it's necessary.

You can also pull the dash, get the box out and clean it.

PS, I work in Madison from time to time and my daughter lives there.

PolkaPower 09-19-2013 07:48 AM

I keep a bucket of Damprid in mine since I have been known to forget to close the windows when it rains from time to time. Works great at absorbing all the water.

Uniblurb 09-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 (Post 16136241)
Living here in Bamazon presents conditions that promote growth of molds. I've never had the problem you have, but I keep mine in the carport.

With algae growing in there it tells me there is plant material in the box that is fueling the mold growth. If you park under trees or dont know the history of the vehicle, the box may have excessive plant material. This will prevent the drainage from occurring the way it was intended.

Couple of things to try... About a mile or so before you get to where you're going to park for the night, turn the AC off, put the blower on high, and the vents on one of the outside air positions. This will purge a lot of excess moisture from the box.

There is thread on here that shows how to surgically remove the trash without pulling the box. I dont recommend it because I dont like to cut a vehicle up unless it's necessary.

You can also pull the dash, get the box out and clean it.

PS, I work in Madison from time to time and my daughter lives there.

Some real good deductive reasoning botanist Zee where plant material in the box fuels mold growth. As one living in the woods with a lot of plant material ending up in the box, and clogging the drain hose, believe the mold buildup on the bottom 1/3 of the AC evaporator helped lead to it's demise in rotting/leaking.

I remember reading where some have put a piece of screen under the cowl vents to help stop tree debris from going through but not sure if this wouldn't also become clogged.

Cleaning out the drain hose frequently is just part of the preventative maintenance when living in the woods.

Kingr98 09-19-2013 12:42 PM

I don't disagree that there is some kind of plant growth in my box. The problem is that I live in a neighborhood that was built in an old cotton field (no trees).

I guess that I will just live with the preventive maintenance for now. I would like to figure out if there is something that I can put in there, like bleach or round-up, that would kill everything without killing me...

ZeeJay, do you live in near here?

AnotherRedZj 09-19-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingr98 (Post 16146065)
I don't disagree that there is some kind of plant growth in my box. The problem is that I live in a neighborhood that was built in an old cotton field (no trees).

I guess that I will just live with the preventive maintenance for now. I would like to figure out if there is something that I can put in there, like bleach or round-up, that would kill everything without killing me...

A cap full of bleach works great for home ac units.....why not in a jeep?!

Kingr98 09-19-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherRedZj (Post 16146233)
A cap full of bleach works great for home ac units.....why not in a jeep?!

Where would I insert the bleach? Could it be poured through the vents in the cowling in front of the windshield? Would that get to the evaporator box?

Also, I called it alge, but it could be mold. It is some green growth which could be easily moved aside with the antenna.

ZeeJay1997 09-19-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingr98 (Post 16146065)

I live about 70 miles south in Blount County. I've seen all those cotton fields that have been developed into subdivisions. All those rocket scientist gotta live somewhere.

It's probably algae, I called it mold because I fight it all the time. You can get an idea about what's in there by taking the blower motor out and using a flashlight and mirror to look around.

Uni, I've been called everything in the book, but never a botanist... or a rocket scientist...

Kingr98 09-19-2013 07:32 PM

The scarey thing is that I am a rocket scientist....or at least I was earlier in my career.

Blount county? You do live in the middle of nowhere. Everytime I walk outside and see my neighbor's house 50 feet away, I start to wish that I lived in the middle of nowhere.

ZeeJay1997 09-19-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingr98 (Post 16156417)
The scarey thing is that I am a rocket scientist....or at least I was earlier in my career.

LOL... see i know the area pretty well.

Kingr98 09-19-2013 08:24 PM

Since one in three adult males in the greater Huntsville area are rocket scientists, your statement is very well placed.:D

The time now is 03:53 PM.