JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Washed engine, now won't start... Ugh (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/washed-engine-now-wont-start-ugh-1540886/)

Dubfire98 06-24-2013 05:00 PM

Washed engine, now won't start... Ugh

Ok so I degreased my 5.2 just now... Covered alternator, battery. What the heck have I done?!

JBrady5555 06-24-2013 05:05 PM

I splashed through a big rain puddle coming into a gas station once, water came up over the hood pretty good and really drenched everything. Wouldn't fire back up after I finished fillling up. It was just dead, after a few minutes of sitting and drying out it started back up. Maybe your stuff just needs a good airing out.

Dubfire98 06-24-2013 05:17 PM

I hope so. Go figure, try to clean the mud off a jeep and it don't wanna run haha.

xcaliber81 06-24-2013 05:23 PM

Try drying out your distributor wires.

WhiteOut 06-24-2013 05:25 PM

You soaked the distributor.

zj97ltd 06-24-2013 05:27 PM

^^-- my first '97 could take a pressure washer to the cap... the one I have now, not so much --^^

Dubfire98 06-24-2013 06:30 PM

Update: after an hour of sitting, and dismantling the distributor, she finally fired right back up. Thanks all!

HandsOn 06-29-2013 04:13 PM

Glad it finally started.
If you're ever in a hurry for it to dry (for whatever reason) and don't have compressed air handy (perish the thought!), but do have some WD-40, you can spray the WD ("WD" stands for water displacement after all) in there without causing any trouble. Or causing any damage that I'm aware of. :D
It's pretty benign stuff to most plastics, metals, wires and electronics, so can be used fairly liberally when needed. But a little can go a long way.

Another helpful item that a lot of people have around the house these days is that "air in a can" stuff for cleaning computers. Dust-Off?
I've even been successful in simply blowing inside the distributor body to get the water out. And on a hot day like today, it'll evaporate on it's own pretty quick!

Remember, if an engine won't start after a cleaning, it's almost always the distributor. Other ignition components can do it too, but on distributor equipped rigs, that's the usual culprit.
If it cranks (starter spinning) then it's not the battery, not the alternator, and not any of the circuits related to them.
On carbureted engines, if it spits and fires and runs for a bit, but continually dies and needs to be restarted, then an excessive amount of water could have gotten into the carb somehow (would have to be uncovered and no filter though) as well as the distributor. But except for copius amounts of water in the fuel, the carb won't cause a true no-start issue either.
Only the distributor and it's associated wiring will usually have that effect when things get wet.

Paul

The time now is 12:39 PM.