wanted: 3" lift control arms lenght - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Geo-Nemesis
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bologna
Posts: 459
wanted: 3" lift control arms lenght

Hi guys, I am upgrading with a mate his lifted beaten up ZJ and changing all control arms with heavy duty and proper lenght ones.
But I failed with the search function...

can someone tell me the proper lenghts for a 3" lifted ZJ ?

thank you guys


'02 Black Overland H.O. V8
Geo-Nemesis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Technohead
Old School
 
Technohead's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Exeter, RI
Posts: 7,352
I'd start with stock control arm length for lowers and adjust the uppers to dial in caster on the front and pinion angle on the rear.
Technohead is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 AM
RemingtonRifles
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Frankfort
Posts: 131
Iron rock offroad has them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Nemesis View Post
Hi guys, I am upgrading with a mate his lifted beaten up ZJ and changing all control arms with heavy duty and proper lenght ones.
But I failed with the search function...

can someone tell me the proper lenghts for a 3" lifted ZJ ?

thank you guys
RemingtonRifles is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Geo-Nemesis
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bologna
Posts: 459
I only need measurements, we already have jks control arms

'02 Black Overland H.O. V8
Geo-Nemesis is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Nemesis View Post
I only need measurements, we already have jks control arms
Set them to stock length, then dial in pinion and caster. There is no "set" length for arms.
WhiteOut is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 05:02 PM
airborndad
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Gabriel Valley Area
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Set them to stock length, then dial in pinion and caster. There is no "set" length for arms.
so what your saying is that the length of the arms they sell for a 3" lift is the exact same length as a stock arm ???
airborndad is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post

so what your saying is that the length of the arms they sell for a 3" lift is the exact same length as a stock arm ???
No. Do you even lift bro? Axles rotate forward and backward. That's called castor. Your grocery cart has a lot of it. Look it up.
It's just a starting point.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #8 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM
airborndad
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Gabriel Valley Area
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
No. Do you even life bro? Axles rotate forward and backward. That's called castor. Your grocery cart has a lot of it. Look it up.
It's just a starting point.


Hey polkadot******bag
Reading comprehension and use of words in the right context or spelling depends on your actual level of stupidity seem to trouble you it appears.
WTF does "Do you even life bro" mean ?
The OP asked for a length others commented nicely without insults (WhiteOut, Technohead) commented "stock length" again nicely without insults but didn't give an actual length.
I will guess that the OP wanted to see if what he had was in the ballpark of what he needed
No need to be a Keyboard Cowboy with your moronic immature response.
Do you talk to your wife like that?

BTW I used to build race cars for a living so I know what caster and camber is you presumptuous fool!

Grow up kid
airborndad is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 PM
kodenz
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Galt
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Hey polkadot******bag Reading comprehension and use of words in the right context or spelling depends on your actual level of stupidity seem to trouble you it appears. WTF does "Do you even life bro" mean ? The OP asked for a length others commented nicely without insults (WhiteOut, Technohead) commented "stock length" again nicely without insults but didn't give an actual length. I will guess that the OP wanted to see if what he had was in the ballpark of what he needed No need to be a Keyboard Cowboy with your moronic immature response. Do you talk to your wife like that? BTW I used to build race cars for a living so I know what caster and camber is you presumptuous fool! Grow up kid
You mad bro?

1. No one cares what you do
2.its the internet "do you even life bro?" Actually makes a lot more sense than other things said here
3. He probably doesn't talk to his wife like that
And last but not least
4. You mad bro?

sent from: somewhere

5.2L 1997 ZJ limited Up-Country+2in BB
kodenz is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 09:20 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
so what your saying is that the length of the arms they sell for a 3" lift is the exact same length as a stock arm ???
At their shortest length of adjustment, a lot of the adjustable short arms should be close to stock length. From that point, they adjust out to the longer than stock length you're looking for.

I tried to think back to what I was using when I had the short arms and the only number I can come up with is maybe 16.75" for the lowers. Instead of one solid number, it's a compromise between pinion angle, caster and axle location. You can also get a different lift height from the same kit from Jeep to Jeep.

Just keep in mind that you want the front pinion pointed at the transfer case output as best possible and the rear on the same plane as the rear output. having the rear tires a little close to the front of the wheel well is preferred over centered as the rear travels back and up when flexxed.
WhiteOut is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM
airborndad
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Gabriel Valley Area
Posts: 58
Thanks WhiteOut
that's probably the type of info the OP was looking for
airborndad is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post

Hey polkadot******bag
Reading comprehension and use of words in the right context or spelling depends on your actual level of stupidity seem to trouble you it appears.
WTF does "Do you even life bro" mean ?
The OP asked for a length others commented nicely without insults (WhiteOut, Technohead) commented "stock length" again nicely without insults but didn't give an actual length.
I will guess that the OP wanted to see if what he had was in the ballpark of what he needed
No need to be a Keyboard Cowboy with your moronic immature response.
Do you talk to your wife like that?

BTW I used to build race cars for a living so I know what caster and camber is you presumptuous fool!

Grow up kid
Hahaha. Those measurements are just a starting point depending on tire size. Try to relax, the Internet not for everyone. Gunga galunga.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #13 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Geo-Nemesis
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bologna
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
At their shortest length of adjustment, a lot of the adjustable short arms should be close to stock length. From that point, they adjust out to the longer than stock length you're looking for.

I tried to think back to what I was using when I had the short arms and the only number I can come up with is maybe 16.75" for the lowers. Instead of one solid number, it's a compromise between pinion angle, caster and axle location. You can also get a different lift height from the same kit from Jeep to Jeep.

Just keep in mind that you want the front pinion pointed at the transfer case output as best possible and the rear on the same plane as the rear output. having the rear tires a little close to the front of the wheel well is preferred over centered as the rear travels back and up when flexxed.

actually I know "how to lift" because I have been wheeling with a WJ since 2010, I just wanted to know a set lenght from where to start with the ZJ.

'02 Black Overland H.O. V8
Geo-Nemesis is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Myusername1674
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Hey polkadot******bag
Reading comprehension and use of words in the right context or spelling depends on your actual level of stupidity seem to trouble you it appears.
WTF does "Do you even life bro" mean ?
The OP asked for a length others commented nicely without insults (WhiteOut, Technohead) commented "stock length" again nicely without insults but didn't give an actual length.
I will guess that the OP wanted to see if what he had was in the ballpark of what he needed
No need to be a Keyboard Cowboy with your moronic immature response.
Do you talk to your wife like that?

BTW I used to build race cars for a living so I know what caster and camber is you presumptuous fool!

Grow up kid
Mutha ****ing *** hat


hahah no in all seriousness you do need to calm down a little, he didn't even insult the guy! Plus no one likes you

95 FiveTwo ZJ, DD, Lifted, Locked on 35s, Build (in progress)

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM
airborndad
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Gabriel Valley Area
Posts: 58
My apologies to PolkaPower I overreacted to your smart@ss comment
Kodenz
no not mad
#1 your right I know
#2 still doesn't make sense but again your right makes more sense than other things I have read
#3 I hope not and probably a good guess on your part
#4 no, was annoyed not mad but rereading my post I can see where it looked like it

Myusername1674
Hahaha your right, I like your call it like you see it attitude
I was a MFing @sshat and he didn't insult the OP, read it again though I believe I correctly perceived what he said to me as an insult and I overreacted

Again I apologize to you PolkaPower
Nobody cares what I do for a living but if you knew what I do and that this was my 9th 12 hour shift in a row my mini rant would be more understandable
Sorry to all else for the thread turd
Carry on
airborndad is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome