want to swap the front axle from a 1995 jeep cherokee to my 98 zj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > want to swap the front axle from a 1995 jeep cherokee to my 98 zj

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
jussta5286
1998 ZJ 

want to swap the front axle from a 1995 jeep cherokee to my 98 zj

I have a 1998 zj that has a bad front diff. the gears are 3.55. I was told that my jeep has a dana 30. i have a 1995 cherokee sport that has 3.55 gears in it too. My question is would the axle assembly work from my 95 cherokee sport to my 98 zj? Both are inline 6 motors and both are geared 3.55. Any help would be great im lost when it comes to ratios and swaps.

jussta5286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Yes, it will.

My "How to" write up from when I did mine (ZJ to ZJ), but XJ is the same.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...embly-1461082/

You may need to swap pinion yokes and get a new driveshaft. Oh, also make sure you follow the person's advice further down in the thread and plug off your brake lines as soon as you disconnect them.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the XJ axle is a HPD30, so IIRC you will need a custom driveshaft. but the axle itself will bolt in no problem since the XJ and ZJ share the same front suspension.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
jussta5286
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
the XJ axle is a HPD30, so IIRC you will need a custom driveshaft. but the axle itself will bolt in no problem since the XJ and ZJ share the same front suspension.
So if i took my 95 xj out and put it in my 98 zj i would have to get a custom driveshaft? Could i just change out my diff, ring and pinon gears? I havent taken the cover off and looked at it to see exactly whats wrong, but my guess is that the bearing went band and chewed up the teeth.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jussta5286 View Post
So if i took my 95 xj out and put it in my 98 zj i would have to get a custom driveshaft? Could i just change out my diff, ring and pinon gears? I havent taken the cover off and looked at it to see exactly whats wrong, but my guess is that the bearing went band and chewed up the teeth.
May need to. Not 100% sure on that, maybe someone else can chime in, but ZJ's had a few different shaft styles and lengths, maybe one will work? It's not as expensive as it sounds to have your shaft shortened and re-balanced.

You could go that route, but to do it properly you need to know what you're doing as far as setting the gears. I chose to swap my whole assembly rather than deal with that.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
jussta5286
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
May need to. Not 100% sure on that, maybe someone else can chime in, but ZJ's had a few different shaft styles and lengths, maybe one will work? It's not as expensive as it sounds to have your shaft shortened and re-balanced.

You could go that route, but to do it properly you need to know what you're doing as far as setting the gears. I chose to swap my whole assembly rather than deal with that.
thats what id rather do too, im going to go check out one from a 97 zj today. the guy only wants 100 bucks for it and its already out. Is there anything i should look for other than the gear ratio?
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jussta5286 View Post
thats what id rather do too, im going to go check out one from a 97 zj today. the guy only wants 100 bucks for it and its already out. Is there anything i should look for other than the gear ratio?
look if it has the cv style driveshaft or the u joint style. The u joint style is ideal and I would stay away from the cv style if you plan on lifting/ off roading with your jeep
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
jussta5286
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
look if it has the cv style driveshaft or the u joint style. The u joint style is ideal and I would stay away from the cv style if you plan on lifting/ off roading with your jeep
Thanks alot. ill be sure and check that out when i get there.

Tags
axle , axle alternatives , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.