Want to paint rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Want to paint rims

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
mudder53
1998 ZJ 

Want to paint rims

I have the limited rims (gold and silver)

Not mine in picture..

Mine are corroding bad and are all scratched up. My jeep is sad riding on them. I was thinking about sanding them down and repainting them but i dont know if im a big fan of the silver and gold. I was thinking all black or black+gold. Has anyone done something like this?

Pics please

I did think this looked good..

So far im doing good about murdering it out so black rims would look good with it. All windows are blacked out along with tail lights and head lights. Going to be doing the bumpers black soon with a rhino liner along the side or something.

What kind of paint should I be using to do this? Just rim paint? If so what brand? How do I make it look glossy like in the picture? Anything I can put over them that will protect them well? If I decide I want to paint the gold, how do I sand it out of the holes?

mudder53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Have you checked about having them sandblasted and painted?

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
BenmannEJ1
1997 ZJ 

if you want them to look good, and continue to look good then spend a little cash and get them sandblasted and powder coated.
BenmannEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I used primer and high temp paint. Worked great for years. Some people plastidip them too.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
ajmorell

I seem to remember their being issues with sandblasting aluminum, you can have it media blasted but I think sandblasting will pit the aluminum. If you want to invest the time, you can get a decent finish by sanding them down yourself (at least all the way through the clear), prepping the surface (clean it well, hit it with adhesion promoter), and then laying down your color and clear coats. I used the latter method on a set of rusty steel wheels I picked up a while back and they came out looking good and held up well even through a couple of Michigan winters.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
mudder53
1998 ZJ 

Im trying no to spend much money on them so i was thinking about just sanding them myself
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
SKorch630
1997 ZJ 

Sand blasting will pit the aluminum as its a malleable metal. You can have it media blasted, as there are a ton of different medias used. Walnut blasting for example has excellent cutting abilities due to the hardness of the nut itself, but will not pit the metal. Again, ask a sandblasting shop. Those guys specialize in media blasting and can give you a better idea of a price point and the correct media to use on aluminum. I sand blasted some steelies on a mercedes i have and theyre great. Turned out excellent!
SKorch630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder53 View Post
Im trying no to spend much money on them so i was thinking about just sanding them myself
Cleanliness and prep are key. Start with some heavy grit sandpaper, 100ish will work well to cut through the clear coat. Once you get the clear removed you can switch over to 220-300 and start smoothing the surface out. I would stop there once things are smoothed over, clean everything really well. hit it with the adhesion promoter (follow the directions on the can), then hit it with 2-3 coats of primer. Sand the primer using 500-1000 grit to get a really nice smooth finish, clean it up really well, then hit it with 2-3 color coats. Sand the color coat with 1500 grit until it's really well smoothed over, then hit it with your 2-3 coats of clear. You can use 2000 grit on the clear to wet sand after it's dried to smooth it out.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
mudder53
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell

Cleanliness and prep are key. Start with some heavy grit sandpaper, 100ish will work well to cut through the clear coat. Once you get the clear removed you can switch over to 220-300 and start smoothing the surface out. I would stop there once things are smoothed over, clean everything really well. hit it with the adhesion promoter (follow the directions on the can), then hit it with 2-3 coats of primer. Sand the primer using 500-1000 grit to get a really nice smooth finish, clean it up really well, then hit it with 2-3 color coats. Sand the color coat with 1500 grit until it's really well smoothed over, then hit it with your 2-3 coats of clear. You can use 2000 grit on the clear to wet sand after it's dried to smooth it out.
Sounds like you've done this before? If so how many cans of primer and paint do you think I need assuming I do one color
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Canyon411 just did these...

Thread... HERE

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

plasti.dip works great and its very inexspensive
rosco219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Would love to see pics when you're done,i have the same wheels on mine and cant stand them
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
JustinW23
1998 ZJ 

I was excited to see my jeep in your first post! It took three hours to finish those wheels. I used three cans of plastidip and I have half a can left. It's $6 a can from Lowes. I have been asked if the wheels are aftermarket. I washed them earlier then wiped them down with Acetone right before I sprayed them. I tested with just spraying over the gold but it didn't work very well. Taping over the edge of the tire and spraying went fast.

Here is a better shot in case I didn't post it in a different thread. This is the best $18 I have spent on the ZJ so far.

'98 ZJ 5.2 6" Long Arms, 265 75R 16's, Magnaflow Cat and Super 40, Taurus Fan Swap
JustinW23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder53 View Post
I have the limited rims (gold and silver)

Not mine in picture..

Mine are corroding bad and are all scratched up. My jeep is sad riding on them. I was thinking about sanding them down and repainting them but i dont know if im a big fan of the silver and gold. I was thinking all black or black+gold. Has anyone done something like this?
If you still have gold accents on your jeep, painting the face black and leaving the gold detail would look really good. If you dont like it, you could always go back and paint in the gold parts with either black or even a contrasting color like a dark grey hammertone. Then clear the wheels once your final decisions are made. If you have a full size snowflake spare tire, use it to test before you committ to the other 4.

Edit: Just noticed you jeep was (forest?) green. The orvis edition came with snowflakes that had body color accents instead of gold. That would be sweet, too. Duplicolor has that shade of green in their autoparts store line-up. Good luck with what ever you decide!
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
jwpcolfaxnc
1993 ZJ 

Another option for consideration = Chrome over the Aluminum Outer Surface, then Re-coat powder Gold inner Y spoke painted sections - I purchased Qty 1 Wheel professionally done outstanding factory custom Appearance - However this option is not a Do-It-Yourself project - Check Prices in your area for Chrome & Powder coating - Just today purchased 3 Used Factory Y Spokes wheels, once received will take to Chrome shop for modifications.
jwpcolfaxnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.