Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Want to Buy 5.9, need advice

697 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HighLonesome 
#1 ·
So I found a nice 5.9 in my local area that someone has for sale. I need a little advice though as far as whether the price is fair comparatively and what I need to look for when I test drive it. The description mentions some problem areas, the paint scraps and scratches don't concern, nor does the heated seats, but the sunroof and interior lights seem like they might be an issue. Any suggestions? Is this too much for this car?

1998 5.9 JGC

#3 ·
I would find out about the sunroof. Mechanical parts are impossible to find. If it is closed correctly, you may just have to leave it that way and never use it. If the problem is electrical, it can be fixed.

Heated seats can be fixed fairly easily.

Problems with interior lights could be the tip of the iceberg concerning electrical problems. Check EVERYTHING electrical with the doors both open and closed. Did I say check everything? :D

Check the AC. Very prone to failure.

Take it for a decent drive, say 20-30 miles of highspeed freeway, and see if the viscous coupler in the transfer case locks up. It will appear like you are in part time 4x4 if it is shot. There's at least a 50/50 shot it needs a transfer case.

The trans probably has some wear too. Plan on having that rebuilt. And the rear axle is notorious for failed bearings.

Aside from that, they are sweetest vehicles on the planet. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.