Wanna get some extra power from my 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wanna get some extra power from my 4.0

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wanna get some extra power from my 4.0

so i wanna get a little more out of my 4.0... I used to have a 5.2 so the power difference is ridiculous and i need more balls from the new jeep.

I was think throttle body spacer, headers, high flow exhaust system, upgrade injectors, bigger throttle body. Not sure what i can do to get more out of this soon to be animal. help me out guys its my first true build and i wanna make this a good one. mind you im 19 a server and have a child so progess may be somewhat slow. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Sell it for a 5.2. Or build it to a stroker
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Cam and port match head, cold air intake. Im doing the cam soon to my 4.0, would do a cold air aswell but I plan on doing a snorkel later.
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

im thinking about port and polishing everything and throwing a cam in it as well as upgraded throttle body plus a proper exhaust. im just wondering how much more power i might get out of it by doing it
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Turbo, or drop in a 318.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

My Kolak exhaust did wonders for my jeep, and I put a drop-in spectre filter for it. It's made me happy, but highway passing power is still severely lacking, but the low end is sufficient for me. I might do a throttle body bore, and port the manifold etc...and a CAI.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Post 99 intake.
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, post 99 intake swap and a kolak exhaust.

The 4.0 I think has an air restrictor between the air box and the intake. Little white piece of plastic, fish for it and pull it out.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

how much was the kolak and is the power difference from the 99+ intake that great i hear alot of people do it and ive been debating such. also headers? which companys are good
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDaddy1993 View Post
how much was the kolak and is the power difference from the 99+ intake that great i hear alot of people do it and ive been debating such. also headers? which companys are good
Not sure about the intake, but im gonna grab one next jy run. For headers im running off brand headers off ebay and pretty pleased with them. Also got rid of my cat and put a supper 44 muffler and ran a side dump in front of the rear tire. I love it
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

I read from people that the 99+ intake doesn't give any real gains unless it's port matched, you do the injectors, have a high flow exhaust and/or CAI. And my Kolak Exhaust was just shy of $500 IIRC, but I didn't get a tip or the oxygen sensor from him. But he supplied me with the tailpipe (mandrel bent), muffler, cat, and some 2.5" pipes for the inbetween bits. He also sells headers and other goodies. Email him Kolak@aol.com
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid945 View Post
Not sure about the intake, but im gonna grab one next jy run. For headers im running off brand headers off ebay and pretty pleased with them. Also got rid of my cat and put a supper 44 muffler and ran a side dump in front of the rear tire. I love it
Yeh some of us have to be able to pass smog.

The injector swap may help.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Really good start here:

http://jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
JGC4lyfe
1996 ZJ 

yea the 4 pin injector swap sounds good to me plus headers exhaust and intake for now. i plan on build up a 4.7 stroker somewhere down the road but not entirely sure. im signed in on my buddies accout by accident. he's got a 98 on 2"bb and 31's mostly stock besides a drop in k&n nice ride though. im about to get a 3.5 RC from my buddy with a track bar cause he bought a new one for his 7" lift
JGC4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

If you are 19 and have a kid you do not need to waste money on a faster vehicle. Sorry to be a downer but you have bigger priorities in your life right now. You can build a Jeep one day down the road when you can afford it.

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.