Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

volume controls

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  PlatinumZJ 
#1 ·
quick question...i guess if i get an aftermarket head unit i wont be able to use my steering wheel controls anymore huh?

#3 ·
You can if you buy an aftermarket head unit with a remote. If you get one with a remote, you can buy a piece for around $50 and have it programmed to your volume controls.

I know a place around here called Tweeter could do it but they charged a good bit just to program it. All you have to do is find the piece, install it, then train it with your remote. From what I understand it is like an infrared signal and not hard to train. You just push the button on the remote and then touch the corresponding volume control you want it to be on your steering wheel.

Try lookin around and I am sure you can find the piece and find out how to install it. Then good luck training it with your CD player. It cant be that bad!!! :rofl:

#6 ·
MUHerdfan said:
Any one know where I can find the steering wheel controls for my 96 ZJ? I've looked in some local yards; didn't try the dealer - afraid of the cost.
I'm not sure what you are asking? The buttons are on the back of the steering wheel. I'm not sure where they plug into the harness. The steering wheel with the buttons should be all you need. The harness is probably already wired for it.

The steering wheel controlled radio in a ZJ operated through the CCD (chrysler crash detection) network. The steering wheel switch sends a signal on the network and the BCM (body control module) picks it up and transmits a command on the network that the FACTORY head unit understands. the network is hooked to the radio with a twisted pair on a seperate two wire plug next to the two seven (i think its seven) part plugs (one black and one gray). So, an after market head unit can't pick up the BCM signals and can't directly use the steeing wheel controls.

As skisprinkle686 and Bamaman said, there is a device called a PAC-SWI-X (see http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JTxbiu....asp?search=steering+wheel+controls&i=127SWIX ). the trick with this device is finding the wire to splice into to pick up the steering wheel control signal. I have one and haven't had a chance to install it yet. If anyone knows which wire to cut on a ZJ let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.