volume controls - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
dinoriggin

volume controls

quick question...i guess if i get an aftermarket head unit i wont be able to use my steering wheel controls anymore huh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Virmagicus
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
skisprinkle686
1999 WJ 

You can if you buy an aftermarket head unit with a remote. If you get one with a remote, you can buy a piece for around $50 and have it programmed to your volume controls.

I know a place around here called Tweeter could do it but they charged a good bit just to program it. All you have to do is find the piece, install it, then train it with your remote. From what I understand it is like an infrared signal and not hard to train. You just push the button on the remote and then touch the corresponding volume control you want it to be on your steering wheel.

Try lookin around and I am sure you can find the piece and find out how to install it. Then good luck training it with your CD player. It cant be that bad!!!

1999 WJ 4.0L V6 Limited
Rusty's 2.0" Lift
Flowmaster 40
Surco Roof Rack

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2006, 02:40 PM
BamaMan
1999 WJ 

www.crutchfield.com carries the same type of thing that skisprinkle was talking about for $60-70.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-83LFMc5...&go.x=0&go.y=0
post #5 of 6 Old 04-02-2006, 02:39 PM
MUHerdfan

Any one know where I can find the steering wheel controls for my 96 ZJ? I've looked in some local yards; didn't try the dealer - afraid of the cost.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2006, 10:03 PM
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHerdfan
Any one know where I can find the steering wheel controls for my 96 ZJ? I've looked in some local yards; didn't try the dealer - afraid of the cost.
I'm not sure what you are asking? The buttons are on the back of the steering wheel. I'm not sure where they plug into the harness. The steering wheel with the buttons should be all you need. The harness is probably already wired for it.

The steering wheel controlled radio in a ZJ operated through the CCD (chrysler crash detection) network. The steering wheel switch sends a signal on the network and the BCM (body control module) picks it up and transmits a command on the network that the FACTORY head unit understands. the network is hooked to the radio with a twisted pair on a seperate two wire plug next to the two seven (i think its seven) part plugs (one black and one gray). So, an after market head unit can't pick up the BCM signals and can't directly use the steeing wheel controls.

As skisprinkle686 and Bamaman said, there is a device called a PAC-SWI-X (see http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JTxbiuc...rols&i=127SWIX ). the trick with this device is finding the wire to splice into to pick up the steering wheel control signal. I have one and haven't had a chance to install it yet. If anyone knows which wire to cut on a ZJ let me know.

Doug
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
Platinum '97 ZJ LTD, I6 (see profile) Paid for!
Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for ZJ & WJ stuff,

for performance stuff. I6 performance info at

Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.