voltage regulator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > voltage regulator

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
djustice
1996 ZJ 

voltage regulator

96jgc 4.0
ok so my heep has went through 2 batteries so far,the alternator isint charging them...i had autozone test the alternator and they said the voltage regulator was going out.i need to know if the voltage regulator is in the alternator or the pcm...and if its in the pcm how much do those usually cost?

djustice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Voltage regulator is in the PCM. Generally speaking, you are probably looking at spending $200+ for a new PCM.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Have someone else test the alternator as well. do not rely on the sole opinion of someone working at autozone, they are generally hired for retail experience over vehicle experience.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
onyx
1995 ZJ 

its the pcm im haveing the same problem a new one is 315$ from kolak@aol.com adds 15+hp or if your lucky enough you may find one at a junk yard however most of the time if they are back they wont allow you to return them if they are bad but hey maybe your lucky wirebrush your grounds.And dissconnect your battery and ground out your positive for 30 secs and clear your comp. mine charges good after it rains and when its cold
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
onyx
1995 ZJ 

lol sorry texting
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
djustice
1996 ZJ 

most of the ones i see are the jet performace pcms... could i use a stock one off a junked jeep? my buddy has an out of commision 99 jgc could i swipe the one off his?
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
96jgc 4.0
ok so my heep has went through 2 batteries so far,the alternator isint charging them...i had autozone test the alternator and they said the voltage regulator was going out.i need to know if the voltage regulator is in the alternator or the pcm...and if its in the pcm how much do those usually cost?
There are times when getting the generator tested will not reveal a bad generator. Other factors could be the cause of the battery not being charged. I had a simular problem with mine and it turned out to be a cold solder connection in the terminal block that house the field connections to the rear ot the generator. Here is the test procedure for eliminating the fault.
b1.png   b2.jpg   b3.png   b4.jpg   b5.png  

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
djustice
1996 ZJ 

thx ill give that a shot 1st and yea my voltage gage quit working and the check gages came on too...i found out that i can try n get a pcm from a junker but their numbered and mine has like 3 diffrent ones...i would just have to find 1 with the same number so if anyone has one numbered 56041412 lmk
Unread 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I would eye ball the generator first. If it has high mileage on it, it will start to act up by charging intermittently before finally going completely out. IMO.
Don't just assume it's the PCM, you could be opening up a whole new can of worms. The 99 PCM won't work in the 96. If your looking to go the inexpensive route, I'd try swapping out the generator first with a JY replacement. Doing the tests above to get to the problem and replacing with new is always best.
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
onyx
1995 ZJ 

wtf is a generator? are we talking about the alt? you can test it by removeing the batt and lett her run if she stalls its bad if not your fine.
I hate voltage regulators.
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx View Post
wtf is a generator? are we talking about the alt? you can test it by removeing the batt and lett her run if she stalls its bad if not your fine.

A generator is a alternator
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx View Post
Disconnecting the battery while the engine is running could fry the PCM.

Years ago vehicles had alternator that did just what the name infers, they produced alternating current, that went into a diode pack (rectifier) that converts the 12v ac into a safe DC voltage.

Today the rectifiers are built into the alternators making them generators of DC voltage.

Before regulators were used, when you went on long trips in you car, in order to keep your battery from over charging, people needed to turn their head lights on. The alternators were always on.

In our jeeps the PCM electronically turns the generators on and off automatically, prolonging the battery's life and saving some fuel by not having the generator on all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.