Voltage issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Voltage issues

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Voltage issues

Havnt posted here in a while...especially asking a question about my own jeep ..

So my jeep has been sitting for a while , ive been doing some axle work and some power steering work and whatnot and basically i also just dont drive the jeep as much anymore since i have a new DD and the Jeep is just a toy.

I started up the Jeep ( after putting in a brand new battery ) and started it up and it didnt fire right up like it used to but it fired up and idled and ran just fine so i started to drive it to my parents house to do some work to it. well i noticed that the voltage guage was registering very very low.. in the red .. so i kept driving and almost to my parents house check engine light came on ( didnt check it ) i assumed it was because of low voltage. I took the battery back and replaced it with another brand new one ( just exchanged it with another, had only been a week so they swapped it out. )

voltage guage still registers very very low... but it seems to run just fine after it gets started up

im using a new kind of bettery that ive never used before its the Duralast Platinum .. supposed to be the same type of battery as an Optima. maybe its the battery... i dont know... i have a 5.9 alternator in the Jeep so i dont think the alternator is the problem but who knows..it is used after all

any ideas? im gonna get my alternator and bettery checked when i have time but i figured id ask here for ideas in the meantime

[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
XOFMOT
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does the voltage read low when driving say on the highway..2000 rpms or so??
XOFMOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

reads low while driving at 45mph or so .. thats the highest ive taken it like this... revving the engine or driving does not effect where the needle sits, it stays in the same spot very very low on the gauge
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
sebian
1995 ZJ 

After you get the charging system checked, check your body and block grounds to make sure they are clean and secure. If the grounds are ok, then probably looking at a new PCM.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
onyx
1995 ZJ 

i would check your ground regardless of the batt the alt when running should be at atleast 12 if not id check the alt but check the voltage regulator in the pcm first
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

i have a Mopar Performance PCM so i hope thats not what it is.... those are expensive and hard to come by

if thats what the problem is.. then ill be switching back to a stock PCM
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
onyx
1995 ZJ 

at advance they have bdu ones for 131.99
Unread 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

I would sure investigate and rule out the used alt before even considering a PCM. Your symptoms are not high on the list of bad PCM symptoms. Be sure to check the alt pully for function also.
Unread 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Not to question the obvious but have you checked the volts with an external volt meter? Maybe the gauge is bad???
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
jeep210
1997 ZJ 

If you can use a voltage meter you can do some testing. With engine running, test the battery and it should read in the range of 13-15 volts. If it is reading 12 volts or less the alternator is not charging.

Now, with engine off for these tests, test the battery for voltage. Then test for voltage on large terminal on back of alternator. You should read the same as battery voltage. If you read battery voltage, then the cable from the alternator to the battery should be good. Check that it is clean and tight.

If you do not read battery voltage at the alternator, then you have a fault in the cable going to the battery. There is an inline fuse on this cable.

Finally, start the engine and have some one rev it up a bit. Now test for voltage on the alternator large terminal. You should read 13-15 volts. if it is charging.

Hope this helps and good luck.
jeep210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
onyx
1995 ZJ 

also look for any melted or stiff wires that feel brittle sometimes over time the wires will harden and crack like plastic allowing contact
Unread 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
98mopar
1998 ZJ 

You will need a voltmeter. With the engine off the battery should read around 12.4 volts. With the vehicle started and nothing else on (lights, radio, ac, ect) should read right around 14.5 volts. If not then you have an issue. First check battery terminals. Check for loose cables, or corrosion, or frayed ends. Then check your grounds. Also check your alternator fuse. Also check all your connections at your alternator. After all those things you find no faults, then you probably have a bad alternator.
98mopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
onyx
1995 ZJ 

ive never had an alt go from working on a car if there was a jolt to the system you can kill the pcm
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
onyx
1995 ZJ 

nothing like the oops when someone connects positive with neg somewhere with a wrench or crosses wires and it costs you $$$$$

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.