Voltage and Check Engine... ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Voltage and Check Engine... ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
tripsandfalls

Voltage and Check Engine... ?

Hi. Haven't lurked in awhile

The last time I spent some time on this forum was before I did the infamous np242 swap. That all went well, but now I'm back with a slightly different problem.

Specs: '93 ZJ, 230k'ish km on the clock, I6, AW4, np242. No real mods, but the battery is a optima redtop which is about 6 months old.

Last night as I was coming back from a pretty epic weekend of skiing, I noticed the voltage drop from the usual ~14 to somewhere just over 9. Uh oh. She seemed to be running okay, so I turned off most of the electronics, and found a spot to pull over. Pulled 'er over, popped the hood, checked the battery connections (which have been problematic recently), retightened 'em, etc. Unfortunately, when I restarted 'er (started no problem), the voltage stayed extremely low (~9.5, with no real variation), and the Check Engine light came on.

Got home okay, but unfortunately, this was all pretty late last night, and I had to come in to work this morning, so I haven't been able to pull any codes, or have a closer look under the hood. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and any recommendations?

Alternator? Something else electrical?

Hopefully it's not a career ending injury, because I'm not living at home right now, and have limited tools and work space.

Cheers,
- Mark

tripsandfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
tripsandfalls

No suggestions?

Codes tonight hopefully. Although, I'm thinking it'll probably just pull the code for "voltage drop". Heh.
Unread 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Need codes - get the alternator and battery tested as well. I know here in the states, most of our chain parts stores do it for free.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

sounds like the alternator. i had mine do the same to me about a month an a half ago. also check the fuses for the altenator. i had the alternator go out slowly an it blew 1 of the fuses but was still able to drive around 9 volts for a day or so then the the alternator went out completely taking the other fuse out. but after a new alternator and 2 new fuses its workin fine, but it does sound like the alternator is going out.

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
tripsandfalls

Codes 12 and 41.

12 is battery disco in last 50 cycles, which is fine.
41 is charging system problem, voltage below 11.something.

I cleaned the battery terminals, and retightened the clamps. Seems to have worked for now. I think it's time for some new terminal clamps, the stock ones are really having a hard time gripping the optima redtop terminals.

Might spring for a new alternator anyways. The original one is about due to leave me stranded somewhere.
Unread 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

PepBoys in the states has universal battery clamps for $2USD. Cut off the stock, strip it back a bit, tighten down the clips on the universals. Piece of cake.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.