viscous coupling replacemeng or TC swap for my needs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > viscous coupling replacemeng or TC swap for my needs?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

viscous coupling replacemeng or TC swap for my needs?

Hey all I'm not using my zj for off reading or anything like that. Just wanting to fix her up and use it as a DD. I am living in Canada so 9 months of the year we have snow and ice so 4x4 is important to me.

Now I understand that both procedures are about the same price whether I get a new vc or get a new tc at a junkyard but which one is easier to do?

My vc has crapped out for about 5 years and that was when it had 70k miles on it and now it has about 86k miles. I take it easy when turning and. Always park far so I don't have to deal with tight turns lol

I would like to keep this vehicle as it has sentimental value to me and its badass. Hoping to last me about another 150 k miles and/or 8 years

Thanks all

lennlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
a70eliminator

There are two small 5/16 or 8mm can't remember bolts that secure a small access cover on top of the TC, you have to take those off to get at the snap ring that secures the coupler to the output shaft, once you get that off and the snap ring opened it pulls right off, that is after you've pulled the driveshaft and removed the 5 or 6 bolts that secure the housing. It's a fairly easy job and the only special tool is the right snap ring plyer, no need to remove the entire TC just the tailpiece that holds the coupler, also with your jack on the trans remove the crossmeber then lowering the trans a few inches will give you better access to the TC top plate.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

The 249 is exactly purpose built what you need. I would rebuild it. Its a great case.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
The 249 is exactly purpose built what you need. I would rebuild it. Its a great case.
I agree, especially with 9 months of winter. We usually have 5-6 months of snow here in Western New York. A new VC is around $300.00 and isn't too hard to do, you can actually do it with the transfer case still mounted.

I had the 249 in my first ZJ and 242 in my current one. I don't see much difference in performance except this one gets stuck in 4wd sometimes and have to reverse a few feet to engage 2wd. :

The 249 also has the highest torque rating.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

stay with your 249. Great in snow and for you wouldn't be paying much more to rebuild then you would be to get a jy unit that's 50/50 on how good it is.
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Agree with above comments. I just, like last week, replaced the VC in my 249. I'm rated "fairly competent" at best in my wrenching skills, and it was a super easy job. I took the TC out to do it, pulling the case makes it so much easier to get to that snap ring mentioned above. Pulling the TC isn't hard, and you can change out seals and gaskets while it's out.

Make sure to keep 4 matched and evenly worn tires in the future and your VC will last longer.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Agree with above comments. I'm JUST, like last week, replaced the VC in my 249. I'm rated "fairly competent" at best in my wrenching skills, and it was a super easy job. I took the TC out to do it, pulling the case makes it so much easier to get to that snap ring mentioned above. Pulling the TC isn't hard, and you can change out seals and gaskets while it's out.

Make sure to keep 4 matched and evenly worn tires in the future and your VC will last longer.
i'll be doing mine when it goes out (seriously just waiting for it to happen at this point). I'm an ok mechanic, can figure most stuff out, will be doing it myself because of all the great write ups on here.
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Agree with above comments. I just, like last week, replaced the VC in my 249. I'm rated "fairly competent" at best in my wrenching skills, and it was a super easy job. I took the TC out to do it, pulling the case makes it so much easier to get to that snap ring mentioned above. Pulling the TC isn't hard, and you can change out seals and gaskets while it's out.

Which snap ring pliers did you use? Every post on here related to changing the VC boils down to the quality of the pliers being used. Swapping in a new VC is the last major item on my todo list and i plan to tackle it in August. I dont own a set of snap ring pliers so I may as well buy a decent set.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
Which snap ring pliers did you use? Every post on here related to changing the VC boils down to the quality of the pliers being used. Swapping in a new VC is the last major item on my todo list and i plan to tackle it in August. I dont own a set of snap ring pliers so I may as well buy a decent set.
I have a set of craftsman at work that came with a bunch of interchangeable tips. I have yet to find a snap ring that I can't remove with them. Although, I have never changed the one in the VC
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I would keep the 249 and replace the VC. 249 is a WAY better case in the snow compared to a 231 or 242. 242s full time doesn't get you anywhere in deep snow (go try climbing a slippery hill on 4FT, then try the same thing with a 249 ), and 4hi on patchy snowy/ icy roads suck because you've got to be going back and forth in 2wd/ 4hi. For a DD the 249 is a great transfer case in the winter conditions. I never got stuck with the 249 in AWD mode even in deeper snow on the roads (up to 10" + of snow).

I had a hard time getting the snap ring off when splitting open my 249 for a 249/ 242 case half swap, even though my TC was sitting on the table. On the other hand, my snap ring pliers weren't exactly the best ones around..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong View Post
I used a pair of Craftsman snap ring pliers that I've had for years. Flat, I guess it's what they call a spade, tips with little notches/grooves to hold onto the ring. Worked perfectly. No model number, I must have bought these 10-15 years ago. Dont even remember what car/repair I bought them for.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Use the ones with the changeable tips for the ring on the shaft after you get the tail cone off. For the tail cone ring use "lock ring" pliers. If you decide to leave the T case bolted up then don't bother trying to fit either one of them up there. You can look through my thread on it and I have pics of the pliers I cut down to get the tailcone snap ring off http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...249-a-1275779/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
a70eliminator

If you decide to leave the T case bolted up then don't bother trying to fit either one of them up there.

I have a real nice plyer that has a 90 degree nose with an adjustable length, it's really trick for spreading the retainer ring working through the opening with a mirror (case in vehicle) it was a special tool for working on boat drives but works great.
But you're right, without it the case needs to be out for access.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.