viscous coupler???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > viscous coupler????

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-19-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
brokengc

viscous coupler????

Got a problem with turning at low speeds. The steering binds up and lunges. Had it before and a vc repaired it. Same symptoms and they said it could be an axle joint. does this sound possible. If so how difficult is the repair and what does it all cost.

brokengc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Beerman

Well if it's the vc and you wheel the jeep it would be a good idea to swap the t-case and put a 242 case in.

My buddy had his vc replaced and cost him around 1,100 bucks about the same for a rebuilt 242 that you can bolt right up.
Take a look at Transfercases.com
Unread 09-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

its not the VC its the half shafts. AKA cv joints, your VC repair only hid the issue due to a smoother power transfer. they are not rebuildable, and are sold as side specific assemblies. make sure you pick up a set of spline sockets, (don't recall if its metric or sae but they are relatively inexpensive at harbor freight) if you intend to do it yourself, as well as a couple cans of brake cleaner and PB Blaster, the brake cleaner to degrease the bolts so the Blaster can penetrate. I don't recommend a torch if at all possible, unless you have a good oxy acetylene with a fine tip, due to the area you will be working. it can be a bit tight and you don't want to light up any grease from the rod ends...

The irony is YOU cant rebuild them, but you can buy rebuilt units... if you can figure that out let me know ( I know, special tooling required, but Ive seen this on parts that DONT require special tooling like some starters and alternators... profiteering at its finest)
nectoxicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 04:53 AM   #4
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengc View Post
Got a problem with turning at low speeds. The steering binds up and lunges. Had it before and a vc repaired it. Same symptoms and they said it could be an axle joint. does this sound possible. If so how difficult is the repair and what does it all cost.
don't know what year you have so assuming a 98 and using rock auto for parts cost only you are looking at from under 100 to about 300 for both depending on the manufacturer ( https://www.rockauto.com/)
Unread 09-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I would hope that after 14 years the problem has been fixed

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
I would hope that after 14 years the problem has been fixed
so would I, AND I would have expected he would have at least posted what it was for people who use the net to help troubleshoot the problems they are having, but too many people are extremely lazy about that.
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
NTH
1998 ZJ 

How old is the diff fluid? Have you replaced the front diff fluid and make sure it's the correct spec? My new to me '98 was binding bad, and new fluid corrected it.
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
nectoxicdragon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

double check that diff. If just changing fluid took care of the problem there is something else going on. The front diff needs to be either an open or on demand unit. only a limited slip would be directly affected by the fluid like that. So either someone put a limited slip in the front end which can create unsafe on road driving issues in many situations, or the backlash is set up wrong and this can lead to significant damage. I can go on about how it could also be due to rig gear bolts coming loose and getting chewed up leaving metal shaving in the gear lube, but you get the idea...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.