VIOLENT shake, but doesn't sound like death wobble... Please help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > VIOLENT shake, but doesn't sound like death wobble... Please help!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
GenesisGirl
2000 WJ 

looks like bent tie rod to me... I don't even know what half of this stuff is...lol

3jeep.jpg   4jeep.jpg   6jeep.jpg   7jeep.jpg  
GenesisGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I don't see any parts that look bent. Just very well used. The swaybar bushings are done, the tie rod end looks like it has been dripping grease for a while, as does the trackbar.

IMO, without looking at the ball joints, or tie rod ends on the wheels, it is time to rebuild the front suspension at the least. If you have the 4.0L I6, get the V8 parts as a nice little upgrade from stock.

If you are good at internet shopping, you can find some nice deals out there. But, I would guesstimate at spending $400-$600 on parts to refresh the worn components.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

www.rockauto.com search google for a discount code as well
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
GenesisGirl
2000 WJ 

eeekkk... lol
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You don't have to spend that much but if you replaced everything it would get into that range. I would replace the stabilizer bar bushings first because they are obviously worn. Next I would lay under the front end and have a trusted friend turn the wheel back and forth while the Jeep is running and look to see what tie rod ends move around while the wheels are turning. There shouldn't be any play in them. If you take it in for an alignment the shop should tell you what parts are bad before they do it. Otherwise it's a waste of money.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
GenesisGirl
2000 WJ 

So, Just want to update everyone.
Death Wobble was correct!

I had a friend send me to a good mechanic who wouldn't play games with me. I told him what we talked about in this thread. He replaced the steering stabilizer pump, and tightened a bunch of loose bolts on the drivers side front end suspension. cost me $100.

I've driven her all over Miami, no Death Wobble!!! But I will need to replace the ball joints soon.

As for the RPM's and TV cable, I'm paranoid. My cat-convert is F-ed up and I need to replace it: solution, put new radio and speakers today...lol

Thanks for all of the help! I would have believed it was the transmission if it wasn't for you guys
Unread 02-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisGirl View Post
... I don't even know what half of this stuff is...lol
Now you know!

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #23
GenesisGirl
2000 WJ 

Wow, thanks. That's really helpful. I'm sure I will be referring to that in the future.

By any chance do you have some sort of diagram or link to show me how to re wire the entire speaker system?
that was today's project, have to get the stereo playing so i don't have to hear the cat.converter...lol
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #24
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisGirl View Post
By any chance do you have some sort of diagram or link to show me how to re wire the entire speaker system?
that was today's project, have to get the stereo playing so i don't have to hear the cat.converter...lol
How about HERE
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #25
justinspotanske
1993 ZJ 

I had the same issue with my 93 gc . went through and did a lot of work and money . Still not fixed . I replaced the steering dampener and that did the trick . Over a year later still fine . look into that . Its a 30 dollar fix.
justinspotanske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
GenesisGirl
2000 WJ 

yea, the dampener is the pump? I think we replaced the same part...lol. Mine is fixed now

Quote:
How about HERE
Thanks Korea, I guess all I had to do was ask! I'm gonna try it out today.
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
GenesisGirl
2000 WJ 

yea, the dampener is the pump? I think we replaced the same part...lol. Mine is fixed now

Quote:
How about HERE
Thanks Korea, I guess all I had to do was ask! I'm gonna try it out today.
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Seems like I had a similar problem with my 96 xj. Was going about 45 with the rpms at about 2. I then stepped on it and it down shifted to about 3 or 3.5 and i heard a loud noise and i got this violent shake. i pulled over to s stop and drove about another mile and a half without issue but not going faster than 45 and easing on the gas. Ive had death wobble before and this was much more violent and jarring. any suggestions?
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death wobble , idle too high , intake manifold , shake , throttle valve cable

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.