VIC Troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > VIC Troubles

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
jeepdude06

VIC Troubles

I've been having troubles with my Vehical Information center. Its been saying "Service 4WD Switch". I've checked everything out, and its comming down to having to replace my VIC, and i was wondering if anyone had ever changed one of these out. Ive been told its not real hard to do, jus i need to buy a book to reprogram it i guess?
need thoughts and prices on new one

jeepdude06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

what year is your heep? I don't think it's so hard to replace it
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Mabye the switch that senses what mode your in is bad and not the display itself.

Have you tried replacing the sensor?

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Wilder

I had this problem to for a while right after it purchased my 94 GC. I would just randomly pop up.. but after a couple trips into the hills where 4low was required, it stopped doing it..

I've talked to a few people about it, and our best guess is it gets corroded or gummed up, and shifting the transfer case a couple times cleared it up for me.

My biggest problem is my VIC resets itself randomly.. will just loose the time and date for no reason. I've thought about changing it out, then realized a nice trio of guages would fit nicely in that hole.. (tranny oil temp, engine oil temp, water temp)

I take good care of my jeep, and i don't need a computer to tell me when my oil needs changing, that the washer fluid is low or a door is open.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
jeepdude06

i have a 95 GC 4.0, and i havent tried replaceing the sensor, ive thought about it, but i cant find a sensor to buy anywhere (i've found the sensor on the TC) and i wanna know how much a new sensor would cost before i do it. And i know someone that had a totaled jeep and the engine is still in good condition, and im prolly gonna end up tearing out the VIC and putting it into my jeep and see if it makes any differance.
jeepdude06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Telejoke
1994 WJ 

Wildger said:

Quote:
I take good care of my jeep, and i don't need a computer to tell me when my oil needs changing, that the washer fluid is low or a door is open
Good point... but I do wish I could get my VIC to stop with the flashing. Is there a way to get it stabilized?

94 GCL with a problem on the driver's side door lock. If we set the VIC date and time while in the car it stabilizes. Once the driver's side door is opened, it resets. Using power locks will cause the horn alarm to go off when opening the driver's side door lock -- Wondering if that switch is causing the VIC grief as well.

Any thoughts?
Telejoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Pull the VIC out and check the connector. It's notorious for lose contacts there. There are 2 things you can do:
1) when you pull it out and disconnect the cable, you'll see the connecter has 2 rows of pins, like this ::::::::
You can GENTLY bend the pins towards the centre, in sense that you bind the top row towards the bottom and bottom row towards the top. GENTY, with a small flat-head screwdriver. That way they'll make better contact to the cable connector. That did it for me, never had the intermittent problem since.

2) if it's not the cable connector, it's the soldering joints of the connector pins to the PCB board itself, within the VIC. This fix would require you to pull VIC apart (easy, it's held together with plastic tabs) and to check the soldering joints, because some of them are most probably cracked. Resoldering them will fix the problem. Some resolder all joints, some just the cracked ones - it's up to you.
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
basegrinder

also== LOTS of information on other cherokee forums and the google-web about this
basegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-fixed-175207/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...moval-1228233/

I found these helpful.
Unread 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Telejoke
1994 WJ 

Thanks!

I had the bezel off yesterday to install an after market radio... should have checked then. I think it might be a weak battery issue and we'll check that first.

I was able to set it to the correct date and time and it stayed put as long as we had a jump battery hooked up. Tried shutting the vehicle off and locking up just as if I were leaving in a parking lot (but left the jump battery hooked up). It stayed on the correct date and time through several tries. Then went back to its flashing when the Jeep's battery was hooked up.

Something is draining the battery (it's relatively new).... So it looks like there are a few other issues to deal with before trying your suggestion :-)
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Telejoke
1994 WJ 

Wow! If all fixes were that well detailed. Thanks for posting.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.