VIC and Inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > VIC and Inspection

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

VIC and Inspection

I have been having problems with the VIC and just took the car in for inspection. Does it need to be working, is it hooked into the check engine light?
I did a search and I am sure it is on it's last leg or the connectors need to be re-soldered. It has been loosing the time and date on and off since I got the car.
I finally got the car on the road yesterday and all was working till this AM when I took it to the shop for the inspection. Didn"t have time to fool with it to see if I can get it to light up.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Nejeep

VIC is not part of the emission control system so it does not need to be working for an emission test.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

vic only monitors "courtesy" items. doors, coolant level, rear lights, 4wd mode.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Thanks guys I wasn't sure What about checking trans codes on the 46RH trans. I see about the key on-off-on-off-on, Then read the OD button light , but one thread says it doesn't read codes except for OD. I'm having shift problems and I am going to adjust the Bands and change the fluid. My TV seems to be set OK but I have not tried to increase or decrease TV pressure wit it yet.
Problem is when it is cold it shifts slow but when heating up it gets spongy or soft. Then on part throttle or just before it starts to Downshift and only does it for a second then jumps back into the gear it was in. The Mechanic who is doing the inspection confirmed what I felt without even telling him about my trans.
He also says I might have a bad rear axle bearing or carrier side bearing. He is going to change the Diff fluid tomorrow and do a Tie-Rod end for me. I'm debating to do the trans myself to save a labor fee or just have him do it.
I'm not in the shape I use to be and getting down on the ground in this cold weather plays havoc with the plates and fusion to my neck and back. I am lucky I have a mechanic I can trust and I know the work will be done and done right.
Thanks for all your help.
After fixing the delay for the wipers yesterday and finding the info here. I decided that when I have the extra money it is time to join. Just that little tidbit saved me having to buy or look for the printed circuit. I just got to get a windshield for this vehicle and deal with some other stuff on this and my Blazer. Inspection and Registration is next month for that one.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.