VIC fuse blowing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > VIC fuse blowing

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 04-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
davidmatlack
1996 ZJ 

VIC fuse blowing

96 gcl 5.2

Fuse 6 blew yesterday. VIC, Overhead VIC and turn signals out. Replaced fuse- blew in about 1 minute. Removed flasher relay still blew. Jeep is original to me with no mods.

Note- It only happens when I move the shifter to reverse while the Jeep is running.

Any idea's whats causing it?

Thanks

davidmatlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Check for a short to GND.
  1. Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) may be shorted. Check switch with connector removed. Center pin should be grounded only while in PARK or NEUTRAL. Outer pins should have continuity only in REVERSE, never shorted to ground.
  2. Neutral Safety Switch wiring may be shorted. Check for damaged/shorted wires at/near NSS.
  3. Reverse lamps/wiring may be shorted. Check bulbs, sockets, wiring, etc.
  4. Auto Day/Night mirror may be shorted. Unplug it.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
davidmatlack
1996 ZJ 

Spoke with jeep dealer who have been really good to my jeep for special problems. They are getting it next week. Initial thought is the PRND relay is bad. I guess this is on the side of the tranny. Does this make sense? I also replaced all the bulbs in the tail lights. One was blown but it was not a backup light. I'll pull the lights again to see if any of the new ones are blown.

Thanks for taking a shot at it
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmatlack View Post
Spoke with jeep dealer who have been really good to my jeep for special problems. They are getting it next week. Initial thought is the PRND relay is bad. I guess this is on the side of the tranny. Does this make sense? I also replaced all the bulbs in the tail lights. One was blown but it was not a backup light. I'll pull the lights again to see if any of the new ones are blown.

Thanks for taking a shot at it
No relays on the side of the tranny. That's where the NSS is located, left side.

Quote:
Check for a short to GND.
  1. Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) may be shorted. Check switch with connector removed. Center pin should be grounded only while in PARK or NEUTRAL. Outer pins should have continuity only in REVERSE, never shorted to ground.
  2. Neutral Safety Switch wiring may be shorted. Check for damaged/shorted wires at/near NSS.
Location shown in diagram, inexpensive part, easy to replace.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
davidmatlack
1996 ZJ 

Found Problem

A wire for the backup rear light left side had chaffed against metal.
Remove spare tire
open plastic access plate
find and repair wire.

Done!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.