Vibrations & Confused about Castor vs Pinion Angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibrations & Confused about Castor vs Pinion Angle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Vibrations & Confused about Castor vs Pinion Angle

OK...so as many have probably seen my previous post, I have front drive line vibrations. I have adjusted and adjusted for the last 6 months, and have NEVER killed this vibration.

New 33x12.50 BFG AT's and an alignment now, and the shop tells me that I have to roll my pinion DOWN to get my castor back to proper specs/safe driving.

Well, if I roll my pinion down it will make that angle worse and my thoughts says make the front vibes worse.

So, I KNOW there are those of you that have GC's that drive properly and don't have vibes...so where is a happy medium?

I wander on the road when hitting a bump now, not horrible, but not great either. But I vibrate bad enuf to cause leaks that i didn't have when i raised the pinion to make the angle less and vibes less.

I have a great jeep, but can't figure this ***** out for the life of me!!! Have put calls in to KevinsOffroad & Carolina Driveline whom i purchased the shafts thru.

But I'm desperately looking for answers so right now, there isn't a stupid suggestion...i'll take advice for anything to help my issue.

KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
ajmorell

Good caster and a good pinion angle are somewhat mutually exclusive on a lifted Jeep. In order to stay within spec for the caster you're pinion angle is going to be way off. There is a happy medium. I'm at about the same amount of lift as you and have acceptable handling characteristics with no vibes at all. I think my caster is around 4-4.5* or so. There was a good diagram showing the proper way to set up the pinion angles somewhere around here that I saw recently. Basically for the front you want the pinion to be pointing nearly right at the output on the t-case.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, I have used that setup process. My problem, me thinks, is I have the D30 Low Pinion...which causes the angle to be more harsh....however, I just got it back from alignment and 0-40mph is perfect for me. And it's at 2* castor....they told me to get to 4* and hopefully that wouldn't effect the vibes. I may adjust and see, but right now if it doesn't do more than it did, I'm happy and will live with it!

But anyone else has advice, i'm all ears. My luck hasn't been great of late and don't see it working here, but keeping the fingers crossed. Chime in with any help please.
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
ajmorell

I was fine when I had the lp30 though too. Get it to around 4* and you should be good.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
melk
1996 ZJ 

The real problem is the BFG AT's.....
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Ahhh come on now....the BFG TA KO's are proven tires now for years.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.