Vibration when i let off gas at hiway speed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration when i let off gas at hiway speed.

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
dickensheets

Vibration when i let off gas at hiway speed.

This annoying vibration feels like its under my feet when I let off the gas at speed. Not present at slow speeds or accelerating. Just started.

99 WJ V8 247tc 115,000 miles.

What is it?

Unread 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
This annoying vibration feels like its under my feet when I let off the gas at speed. Not present at slow speeds or accelerating. Just started.

99 WJ V8 247tc 115,000 miles.

What is it?
Check your rear differential fluid level.
Unread 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
dickensheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldoradoman View Post
Check your rear differential fluid level.

ok.

With the 247tc can I pull the front shaft and road test?
Unread 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Check your u-joints on your front shaft. Centering assembly could also be worn, assuming you have the dc front shaft. At that many miles, and with your mild lift, they could be shot by now.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
dickensheets

I drove with the door open down the street and low and behold I heard a squeaking noise. Sounded like the rear drive line. So I crawled under and found play at the rear output of the TC. I think this means a worn bearing.

So how involved is this bearing job? Can it be done from the rear of the TC?

skain: I have the CV style front. It seems solid as of now with no noise or play.
Unread 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
mnjeepmale

Same problem here. Vibration at highway speeds on my ZJ. When I engage the 4wd in Full or Part time the vibration is even worse. Any suggestions? Way to tell if the u-joints needs replacing?
mnjeepmale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
04ColumbiaWJ
2004 WJ 

i know this probably isnt the whole problem but make sure your tires are balanced. that could help too if theirs off balanced
04ColumbiaWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
dickensheets

The noise is gone. It fixed itsself.
Unread 04-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

i have this same problem with my 04 wj 4.7L 247 TC. it only happens at like 80 MPH and when i let off the gas. i havent really looked into it yet, and i also have the squeaking at 15-35 MPH too. i was shooting towards u-joints, but havent looking into it much.
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
dsnell10
1996 ZJ 

i have a similar problem in my 96 zj limited 5.2 249tc with 193,xxx miles 4inch lift and KOR tracbar conv. . after any speed of 40mph or more when i let off the gas, i get a vibration. the vibe stops around 15mph. i just put new wheel bearings in the rear axle. and im thinking the transfercase is on its way out and its leaking fluid from the rear output. would the vibe be from a bad output bearing and seal, or could it be u-joints in the rear? it feels like the vibe is coming from right under my feet which is about where the tc is.. or maybe further up like in the front drivers wheel.

Any diagnosis? any solutions? anything is appreciated

Next mod is swapping a 242 in for the junk 249.
dsnell10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
RobinsonFam1
1998 ZJ 

click my profile and go to my recent thread, or search it....i had same problem in 98 5.2 with 242tc.
it could be a tc issue but not likely. if it only does it at decelleration its the pinion side of rear diff, bearing is gone...when i did mine my axles were pitted/worn to hell also. had to replace the entire rear end, axles and all.
get to yours quick before you go down the same road. gets expensive quick!
RobinsonFam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.