Vibration when in 4WD-FT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vibration when in 4WD-FT

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2004, 06:55 PM   #1
jrdicker

Vibration when in 4WD-FT

I have a stock 2001 GC Laredo w/ 55K. I have the Selec-Trac TC, not sure what the NP number is.

When I put it in 4WD Full Time, I have a vibration right under my feet. I am not a car guy, but I was thinking drive shaft or u-joints?

The thing is, the way I understand it, is that there are no hubs in the Jeep, so the axle and drive shaft are always turning, so why does it not happen, when I am in 2WD?

Anyway some history:

Just had the differential rebuilt, bearings and spacers and nut pinion.

And two weeks after that, it was leaking diff fluid, brought it back to the dealer, and they replaced the pinion seal.

Could they have screwed up on the diff? I will be bringing it back this week to the Jeep dealer, thank god I bough a 3/36k warranty, even if it is from "joe blow", they paid for the diff rebuild

Anything to give me some piece of mind that my truck is now screwed up beyond belief, is greatly appreciated.

- John

jrdicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

John,
You have the NP242 transfer case.

The way I am reading your post, everything was fine until you took it in to have the diff rebuilt, then the vibration started.
Sounds to me like the shop messed up.

Your driveshaft and front axles are equipped with CV-joints except for where the driveshaft connects to the TC, that utilizes a double cardon joint (two U-joints working together).
When you are in 2WD, your TC and differential are both open, so there is no torque being delivered to the front axles, therefor your front driveshaft does not spin. Any out-of-balance condition wouldn't show up in 2WD, but would in 4WD. I wouldn't rule out incorrect installation of the gears inside the diff though. After all, they weren't even able to seal the cover!

HTH
Unread 10-09-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
jrdicker

Thanks a ton Warren!

You made be feel so much better by just giving me more information on how the GC works.

I will go to the dealership on Monday to make another appointment, you know, I thought brining the GC to a Jeep Dealership, would be the best thing, I am second guessing my action now.

But again, thanks so much for the quick thorough answer, you are definitely an asset to this forum.

I will post my whatever the fix is, as soon as I get it serviced again.

- John
jrdicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

The problem with shops is that mechanics are people, and like any other profession, some are more skilled than others even if they hold the same certifications. Additionally, I have no doubt they are pressured to repair the greatest number of vehicles in the least amount of time. If not by the shop manager, certainly by customers that expect their vehicle to be ready ASAP.
Unfortunately, sometimes you have no choice but to take your vehicle to a shop to be worked on.
I am looking forward to hearing how your problem is resolved. We always appreciate follow-up posts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.